Collection question

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Misty, Mar 28, 2001.

1. Misty

Misty Guest

I signed up with Junum lately so Ill see how things go but I also wanted to start on a few things I see on my credit report and had a question for the guru's out there...

I received a collection letter about 1 week ago at around the same time I recieved my credit report. It was for a phone bill from about 2-3 years ago. The bill is from CBCS but the original one is from Bellsouth. Now here is my question. This is the first I have ever even heard of this. I have been searching trying to find an old bill from Bell South that maybe I missed yet I find nothing. I dont doubt that I owe the $100 or so dollars and I dont mind paying it if I do, but heres my question.

Do I have to pay to this CBCS? Bellsouth has never reported on my credit report but this CBCS has reported that Im very overdue on this. So if I dont have to pay CBCS and I go ahead and send payment to BellSouth, will Bellsouth report on my credit a good credit rating or will they just not post anything since they never have before? If they do post will they post that Ive been really late but I have now paid it? Also where will that put me with CBCS? Should I pay Bellsouth and then tell CBCS to validate the account? Will they be able to since I paid it to Bellsouth?

Any suggestion, ideas, etc on this whole issue, Im not quite sure what to do here. I really dont mind paying the bill, its only $100 and if I get that off my report it is worth it to me, but geesh it just bites me to pay collection agencies, Id rather pay bellsouth.

Thanks,
    Misty

2. AnnMarie

AnnMarie Well-Known Member

In my experience, utility companies are not in the least agreeable--they seem to think that even if the world ended last week, the mail they sent you this week would still get there, world or no world.

3. Misty

Misty Guest

Well i called their 1800 number (bellsouth) and my phone number is no longer in their system. They have no active bills due for my account. Do you think then that this will be unverifiable?

Just curious, when I ask the collection agency to valdaite my account, do they have to get that from the phoen company? Or is it something they received when they got the account from Bellsouth, cause if they tried now, Im guessing they cant verify if Bellsouth cant even verify it to me.

Misty

4. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Im guessing they cant verify if Bellsouth cant even verify it to me.

Misty

Reply To Message = IF they do it looks kinda fishey don't it?

5. MistyEyed

MistyEyed Well-Known Member

hehe, I just saw some other posts posted by another Misty. Just to alleviate some confusion I think I better change to MistyEyed! lol

6. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Misty I would suggest that if you just signed up with Junum, that you NOT do any disputing on your own at this time. You can call Junum and advise them of the situation, and tell them you want them to work on that item specifically at this time. I just don't think it's a good idea to have both them and you disputing at the same time.

7. MistyEyed

MistyEyed Well-Known Member

But Im not disputing the credit entry. I am disputing this bill I got. I figure junum can do the work to get it off my report once I get it paid, but right now I am just wanting to clear up the bill.

Misty

8. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

sorry, I misunderstood. Unless they can provide proof that you owe it, I wouldn't pay a penny. You can do a search here for some of the validation letters. Use one of them to send to the collection agency.