Collection statutes by state...

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by breeze, May 17, 2001.

1. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

2. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Wow! That is very interesting. I remember seeing something like that before and really don't understand what this means:

"COLLECTION AGENCY BOND & LICENSE

Bond: No
    License: No
    Fee: No
    Buffalo: $5,000 Bond - $50 fee
    NYC: License - $150 - 2 yr. fee "

Does that mean that the Collection Acengy can collect any debt without being licensed in my state, NY?

3. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Yes. Those states do not require collection agencies to be licensed. Individual localitites may require it though.

breeze

4. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

That really sucks. Oh well, I'm sure I can get them another way. Thanks, Breeze! :)

5. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Yes, but there are two ways to look at the licensing and bonding requirements, and even more than two.

First question is do they have to be licensed or bonded in the state in which their offices are located?

Second question is do they have to be licensed or bonded in order to do business in the state of your residence

Third, if they are a corporation, they must have filed papers of incorporation somewhere. And if they incorporated in a state such as Delaware or Nevada which have extremely loose incorporation laws, did they file also as a foreign corporation in the state in which they do business as well as the state in which you reside?

Fourth. Do they need a business license to conduct business in the city in which they operate?

If any or all of those requirements are not met (if they exist) then they are still not authorized to do business.
    All of these things need to be checked out by you in each and every instance for the possibility of finding some grounds to file complaint or actual lawsuit.