collections validation question

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by metallicat, Aug 13, 2001.

1. metallicat

metallicat Well-Known Member

K..problem..My information was used fraudulently by I believe my former college roommate to obtain credit, and it has now been charged off for some time now.

I'm about to fire off a validation letter to them, but since this is fairly old (~1 year) will it cause any problems? Am I required to respond within their 30 days?

2. mglanham

mglanham Well-Known Member

I would call the Fraud division of the CC company. I had a very similiar instance and called as soon as it was discovered. The company was very helpful and immediatley flagged the account as fraud and removed from credit file. Just my two cents.

Matt
    Bad Credit...........but not for long

3. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Well, probably not much you can do about what your roommate might have done back then.

The age will be unlikely to cause you any problems. According to FTC, it says you have 30 days to respond to a collector's first letter. However, I have disputed them from 5 or more years ago and it has never caused me any problems yet. I'd say that the vast majority of the disputes we send out are far more than any 30 days old and we never get any static over it, so I don't see why you should either.