Combing Cap1 accounts

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by mspencer, Nov 17, 2001.

1. mspencer

mspencer Member

Combining Cap1 accounts

I was wondering if anyone had any experience in the difficulty of getting capital one to combine two accounts I have with them. I have one unsecured with a $500 limit and one secured with a $600 limit. I was wondering what approach I should take with customer service or if it is even worth my time attempting this. The one account is only secured by $49 and is over a year old with zero lates. Thanks.

2. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Re: Combining Cap1 accounts

<<bump>>
    No personal experience, but I have read here that CapOne will not combine secured accounts.

-Peace, Dave

3. tzank

tzank Well-Known Member

Try to get the secured account converted to unsecured first. Then after a couple of months, you can ask to have both accounts combined.

4. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

I'm not sure since 1 is secured and the other is not. If I were you I'd send a letter via planetfeedback and ask that very question. then you'll talk with the executive dept and they can help you.

I do know that combining accounts counts as a line increase so you may want to try and increase each line first, then combine. By the way, if either line is 6 mos old now ask for a line increase first... :) 300 is standard for their computer. Then call retention and see if they can up it. Then try to combine. Better strategy. :)

And I've been told each line has to be open a min of 6 mos to combine them.

5. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

Here's a tidbit: If one of the cards happens to be a K-mart cobranded card, that one can't be combined with a regular Capital One card. Been there, tried that, found out that their agreement with K-mart won't allow it -- even if you're trying to consolidate ONTO the K-mart card.

Doc

6. mspencer

mspencer Member

The unsecured card is a TJX-cap1 card. It has no annual fee so obviously I would like to combine it on the those terms. I think that getting the first one unsecured is probably my best bet. I have had it for 15 months now and paid the balance in full 12-13 times. Thank you for your feedback.

7. Om

Om Well-Known Member

From what I was told 4months ago;

They would need to both be TJX cards then. They won't combine an affinity account and a gold account for instance. In order to combine accounts they have to be two like accounts and be unsecured with at least 6mo. age on each.

-Om

8. amaineman

amaineman Well-Known Member

Happened in our household , two cards were unsecured and combined with a third. Took 1 month to unsecure and then they were combined.

It was handled as one request through the advocates office. As correctly stated K-Mart or other affinity cards can not be combined (even a his n hers K-Mart card)