Combining Citi cards

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by blackie, Aug 28, 2003.

1. blackie

blackie Well-Known Member

Anyone know whether I have to wait any length of time before I can combine a brand new Citi account with an older account?

I just activated this card a few days ago and want to combine it with my old account. Can I just do it immediately?

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

TOO LATE...

You really should have done it a FEW DAYS AGO...YOU SHOULD HAVE NEVER ACTIVATED IT...

Just try it...THEY MAY SAY YOU CAN'T...if they do..."OK I NEED TO CLOSE IT"...then they will transfer you to somebody WITH A BRAIN that says "WE WILL BE HAPPY TO COMBINE THE ACCOUNTS FOR YOU"

You can always HANG UP and try again if you get a BRAINLESS WONDER!!!

3. blackie

Why would you say too late? I've read on the boards about combining accounts from Citi all the time. I'm guessing every case didn't involve one account that wasn't yet activated. Is this a new policy change or something?

The old one is Citi Dividend Plat Select. And the new one is Citi Diamond Rewards. Both Mastercard if that's any help.

4. DemPooches

DemPooches Well-Known Member

We've combined with no problem both before and after activation.

"I've been comparing the terms of the cards and I just don't think I'm going to get much use from my <card name> card. I'd like to consolidate its credit line with my <other card name> card and then close it. Can you take care of that for me?" If for some reason they can't, as George suggested, call back and get another rep.

We have also kept two tradelines open with Citi and moved the credit limit back and forth between them. This allows for taking advantage of whichever has the best rates for BTs, promotional specials etc at any given time.

The only thing we haven't been able to avoid is the new line reporting. It has reported with a zero high credit and zero balance every time we've gotten a new one and combined it.

DemPooches

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Why would you say too late?

READ ON....

You should really do it BEFORE you activate it "IF" you have no intentions on keeping it...

It "MAY" not be too late...it just all depends "WHO" you talk to at CITIBANK...

6. Geo

Geo Well-Known Member

That is not true. You can combine in any moment. Just call and request this. You shoud not have any problem!

7. blackie

Thank you all for the replies.

Does the closed line always change to $0 on your credit report, even if you leave it open for a bit? In other words, even if you had a credit line/high balance reporting for a while - did it change to $0 when the transfer of the climit to the new card occurred?

8. Geo

Geo Well-Known Member

No, the limit will remain the same. The only diference is that the account will show up as closed on your reports.

9. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

COMBINE THE TWO INTO ONE AND CLOSE THE ONE YOU DON'T WANT...

On my LAST BDD I did when I tried to COMBINE AND CLOSE...I WAS TOLD I CAN NOT DO IT!!!

"OK CLOSE IT"

I just talked to somebody else when they transferred me to the "CLOSURE DEPARTMENT"
    THEY DID WHAT I WANTED!!! COMBINE TWO INTO ONE AND CLOSE!!!

10. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

"IF" YOU DON'T ACTIVATE IT...COMBINING IS EASIER...

YMMV

Unless you keep the card open for 1 OR 2 OR 3 YEARS...IT WON'T HELP MUCH...