Computer Chips cards...when???

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Smart VISA, Nov 15, 2000.

1. Smart VISA

Smart VISA Guest

Hi,

I've seen credit cards from Austria...UK...Canada...etc... With that computer chip or whatever it is...adn this was almost at least 15 months ago...so when did these smart chips come out????

2. Dean`

Dean` Guest

R we behind those nations

hello

3. Creditinsi

Creditinsi Guest

RE: Computer Chips cards...whe

Not so fast!! We have to learn how to count votes first, then we'll worry about all the tech stuff. :)

Regards,
    Alex.
    www.CreditInsiders.com

4. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

I think we skeptic americans dislike having their entire identities on our credit cards. Heck - Many won't even sign the back of their cards. I personally could care less - nobody can get credit in my name anyway - well maybe ccb but that's prolly it!

But I'm working on it!!!

BTW - I was taught by our p&l guys to turn down anyone who didn't have their card signed, including those that said "see ID". Of course, I never did - I worked on commission!

Kelly

5. S.D.

S.D. Guest

Signing the back of your card

Do most people put "see ID" on the back of their cards or do they actually sign it?

6. Eboni

Eboni Guest

RE: Signing the back of your c

This is the dumbest thing ever.

I have seen people who don't sign the back of their card. So whoever finds it can sihn their name, REAL SMART.

Anyway it's stupid because most places don't even match the signatures. At the Gas statsions, Walgreens, and Grocery stores they don't even swipe the card. You swipe it yourself.

7. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

It was prolly about 10% of credit cards had "see id" but we have a lot of repeat customers, so it might have been less. I just remember seeing it a lot.

BTW - We used Hurley State Bank for Credit and they would not approve those with marginal credit!!!

Kelly

8. sam

sam Well-Known Member

"Unsigned Credit card is not acceptable according to the Credit issuers (visa/mc)"

"SEE ID is not acceptable according to the credit issuers (visa/mc bank)".

"American express card with your signature imprinted on front, must be signed , and match the front and back, and your signature on receipt".

(i didn't even know amex imprinted your signature on the front).

This is a quote from the Atlanta, GA USPS office, in writing on the wall ( i was there yesterday, buckhead station location). I presented a card (aria) that i did not sign yet cause i have not used it in person before.

They made me show id, and then sign it in front of them before accepting.

I assume the USPS doesn't post BS on their walls. I could be wrong. Anyone else been to the postal office lately and seen the notice?

9. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

BY SIGNING THE CARD IT AUTHORIZES THE STORE TO CHARGE YOUR ACCOUNT, AND ALSO THAT YOU ACCEPT THE TERMS OF THE CREDIT CARD.

Also the signature on the card is needed for comparison with the receipt that is signed.

When I was a cashier every day at WAL-MART...(NOW MANAGEMENT), I got a lot of "SEE ID" and a lot of blank cards.

MANY CARDS NOW SAY "VOID IF NOT SIGNED" SO VISA AND MASTERCARD WANT THE SIGNATURE ON IT!!!

I SIGN MINE!!!

10. TK

TK Guest

This technology has been coming for quite some time, however it's really not in our favor. They really could steal our information I'm told and we don't need any of that. Not so smart, smart cards.

11. av doron

av doron Guest

Computer Chips cards...when???

12. Zachary

Zachary Guest

Actually, it was in Swindon, England and Guelph, Ontario, where they piloted the "Mondex" smart cards some time ago; these were cash cards where you could hook up to specially-equipped phones, pay parking, buses, coffee shops, you name it...all in a trial run for smaller purchases and administered by the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, and only for the City of Guelph. A little wallet came with the card which instanty told you your balance and you would use it just like cash with any merchant or terminal for small purchases. No PIN or signature required. You could even transfer between individuals (i.e. the pizza guy) this "cash" created out of thin air. (I could quote a whole book on the folly of fractional and non-reserve banking, but I deal with that in other forums.) The huge issue with this is that there is a potential for misuse of all the billions of transactional data; you could be traced even for small purchases.