Conflicting info re: Time unti

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by frankh, Jan 7, 2001.

1. frankh

frankh Guest

I've always been under the impression that negative items remain for seven years (10 for BK)
    Since I've joined this board, I've begun a concerted effort to get my stuff together and clean up my file to get rid of some post-college mess-ups.
    In going thru some old credit reports last nite, I came upon an Equifax file that had a "Facts you should know" sheet which claimed:
    "Payment in full does not remove your payment history. The length of time info remains on file is:
    Credit and coll accts -7years from last activity
    Courthouse Records - 7 years from date filed (bk 10 yrs)

***Then in smaller print: NY State only: Satisfied judgment 5 yrs from date filed; paid collections 5 yrs from date of last activity with original creditor.

That last part is HUGE for me if true, as all my neg stuff (4 items) is at least 5 yrs old, and I was a NY resident when the accounts were filed. Does anyone know if this 5 yr NY deal is still true? I tried tons of searches, but came up empty. I will call Equifax tomorrow, but if anyone can tell me today I'll go out and celebrate!!
    Thanks

2. Alwilda Sm

Alwilda Sm Guest

RE: Conflicting info re: Time

I have read elsewhere that if you order your file to be returned to a NY address, then anything over 5 years will be automatically deleted. It got me thinking at the time of who I know in NY that could receive the mail for me!

-Alwilda Smith

***Then in smaller print: NY State only: Satisfied judgment 5 yrs from date filed; paid collections 5 yrs from date of last activity with original creditor.