Confused, need your thoughts

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by NanaC, Jun 14, 2001.

1. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Ok, we all know I'm always confused but I do have a question.

Last December, I paid 4 copayments (left after insurance) at a local hospital. They were paid after services. I had never received bills of any kind. Anyway, AFTER I paid them, they showed up on my credit report from a collection agency, though they were marked paid. Mind you, I had never received notice previously and I had never been contacted by this collection agency. I wrote letters to the CA, no response. I then wrote letters to the hospital, the CA, the attorney generals. At that point, all 4 were removed from my reports. However, today, I received the AG response from my state..it confuses me..along with the response they received from the CA.

Basically, the collection agency gave some wierd story about being in conjunction with some other CA (who never contacted me) and that they "updated" my reports as paid in full. (Not true, an update makes it seem as if there were previous entries on my CA before payment, there was not!) Anyway, they went on to state "In any event, upon receipt of this complaint, we requested that the CRAs to whom the accounts had been previously reported remove them from the consumer's reports."

Ok...the AG found then that there was no need to take further action at this time. It basically states that the agency did the right thing by "updating" as paid (again, they were never there to update) and that it was not required to delete accurately reported info fromthe credit report.

It goes on to say that they will keep the info in case a pattern of complaints on this company arises.

Now...my question....did the AG just give the CA permission to enter the info on my CR or did the letter from the CA saying they requested the info be removed mean I have proof of the removal request??

I don't understand and never will how this can be reported as a collection AFTER they are paid in full to the hospital.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated cuz I'm tired of worrying about this..and I am...someone tell me to breathe, please!

2. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Ok, i'm still not breathing...and can you give me your thought on this statement from the AG

"Collection agencies may enter accounts on a consumer's credit report without contacting the consumer first. This is not considered debt collection because the agency is not contacting the consumer in an effort to collect the debt."

WHAT??? You can enter negative information and never say a word and that's o.k.?? Is that true??
    You never have to give the creditor a chance to dispute, etc.?

3. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Ok...even if you babble or something...post some thoughts on this please...I'm turning blue now...LOL

I've got visions of 4 re-entered items on my CR.

Thanks

P.S. You notice I've waited a whole long hour and all, not that I'm impatient or anything...teehee

4. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

bumping cuz I'm starting to feel pretty pitiful here. :)

Ok, I know I'm being impatient..I apologize but ANSWER NOW! teehee

5. Crdt Dfnse

Crdt Dfnse Well-Known Member

Nana, hold up a minute while I review your comments for clarity (mine, not necessarily your clarity)? Be back with you shortlyâ?¦

6. Crdt Dfnse

Sorry about that, I know youâ??re anxious but a phone call delayed meâ?¦ Anyway.

Okay, from what I gather the AG essentially scared the bagezzers out the agent; thereby causing the hit(s) removal. Speaking form experience, an AG will almost always strongly suggest a particular avenue be takenâ?¦ Kind of an, â??or elseâ? proposition. And since the collection agent backed off (from what appears to be) itâ??s initial stand, merely updating as paid (opting rather to remove the entries). Iâ??m probably not far off, but still the foregoing is speculative.

Alrighty, as far as the AGâ??s statement:
    Looking at the issue in probable context, in relation to how CAâ??s work, may help explain what could have happened (not necessarily what actually did). You paid the hospital, a fowl-up at the hospital caused the CA referral, hospital screw-up found out, CA notified and mistakenly reported as paid. Under this context of possible event the AGâ??s statement is accurate.

If youâ??d like me to explain in more detail I could, just ask. Otherwise it appears as though the issues have been resolved with the REMOVAL of all negative information. Unless, of course Iâ??m missing something?

7. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Anthony, First, let me just say that You rock!

Ok, now...I'll tell you what I'm freaking out about here in my little head..
    I was scared that the CA would take the AG's statements as permission to put back the negative information already removed.

Am I freaking over nothing in your opinion?

And, thank you so very much!!

You know, my house is closing in 2 weeks and I'm super aware of every possible complication..

8. Crdt Dfnse

Well, yes (for whatever â??MYâ? opinion is worth), I do believe youâ??re worrying over nothing. That is, if I understand you correctly, youâ??ve a letter (from whomever) confirming the deletions? If that is the case, then certainly youâ??re freakin over nothing. But I can relate whyâ?¦

At present Iâ??m not only putting together a project but preparing to build a house up north (Northern California), and spending mula like water (itâ??s a painful thang but very necessary). Thankfully, however, logistics donâ??t last forever and realizing that Iâ??d encourage you to hang-in there!

Correspondingly, great news about the mortgage, I know your excited but as I said; it will be over before long. TWO MORE WEEKS! Are ya going to paurty hearty, or what?! Glad I could help.

9. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Ok, Anthony...you have made me feel much better. I definately have a letter from the creditor (actually their legal representation) saying that they had requested the deletions from my report "in any event."

So, I will breathe now..I thought that might actually be a good thing, having it in writing, I mean...

I really appreciate you right now--As does my family that I've been driving insane since I got the mail today!

Please keep us posted on your situation, as well. That is so cool to hear.

LOL..gonna be lounging by the pool in 2 weeks..yup...party is the word!! :)

10. G. Fisher

G. Fisher Banned

Don't expect too much from a state government agency-- the FCRA is a federal law. Credit reports are as mysterious to them as they are to you. In fact, you probably know more.

What clinched it for me was that the account was paid before it was listed in your file. If you have documents proving that-- showing the chronology-- and it ever went so far as you taking them to court, they'd look pretty silly.

11. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Greg!! I do have documentation proving that!!! That is great news and it explains alot! Whew!!! I'm actually getting some color back in my cheeks since you and Anthony have posted!!

Thanks a million!!!