Contact creditors re late pays?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Illini, Jul 16, 2001.

1. Illini

Illini Well-Known Member

I have a question to everyone, has anyone ever contacted a creditor to have a late pay removed from their credit report? If so, what where results and who did you speak with?

Illini

2. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

I'm in the process with two creditors.

One is now past the 30 days and still has not responded. I'll be sending a letter tomorrow requesting removal.

I'll let you know how it goes.

The other one still has a bit of time to respond.

3. MiamiBlues

MiamiBlues Well-Known Member

I did it with Firestone & Syms. Firestone deleted the late pays after going back and fourth for about 5 months. Syms simply deleted the entire trade line. Discover deleted all the late pays for me but they showed right back up two months later.

Manny

4. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

What did you do when they showed back up? I guess it's better to get the whole tradeline deleted...then, if they want to put it back on they not only have to notify you, they have to certify that the information is correct.

5. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

Actually, if you do get something removed this way, make sure you have a zero balance. Otherwise it's more likely to show up again as they have to send their update tape.

6. Lionel

Lionel Well-Known Member

Illini -

I successfully had a 30-day late removed from Cap 1, by begging, pleading and reasoning with a customer service supervisor (on a Saturday).

It was a borderline call for them, but she thought it could have actually been misplaced a few days in their mailroom, and they showed another pymnt posting just a few days after that. I did send the payment in late, but I don't actually know if it was correctly coded as a 30-day or not.

Incidentally, she deleted it from the CRs, but it will saty on Cap 1's internal records, and will pop up whenever I request a credit line increase or int rate reduction.

7. MiamiBlues

MiamiBlues Well-Known Member

Mist,

I contacted this gentleman at Discover who I had been working with to get my account straight regarding the late pays. He wrote me back and told me it wasn't Discover's policy to delete a late payment history. So I figured that was that.

The following month when my Equifax report arrived it reflected my Discover account with no negative notations and just an R1 rating. I figured he felt sorry for me and had everything removed. However, apparently since Junum is working on my credit profiles it appears they disputed Discover as well and when the next credit report arrived the late notations had been re-inserted.

Interestingly enough, the telephone number that Equifax stated they contacted turned out to be their regular customer service number. So I called them and asked the rep if she could send me a print out of the dates that I was supposedly late since that information wasn't reflected on my report. She responded that she could only review the account history for the past 12 months and during that period my payment record was excellent.

Since Equifax provided this same number for me to call and contact the creditor I wrote them a letter and sent it via fax yesterday passing on this info to them and demanding they delete the dateless late payment notations since they couldn't be verified by the creditor.

Now I just have to sit back and relax.

Manny

8. Illini

Illini Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your input.

Illini