convert chase plat to stockback?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by ero2, Aug 5, 2003.

1. ero2

ero2 Well-Known Member

is this possible has anyone done it? if so do I just call the number on the back of the card?

2. miles

miles Well-Known Member

Hey, ero2. Yes, you should be able to convert your Chase Platinum to the Stockback Platinum. When Stockback was new, I tried to do this and it was not possible. I would have had to apply for a new account. I didn't want to do that so I converted to the Shell Platinum which was eventually changed to the Freedom card.
    I called about 4 or 5 months ago to inquire about changing to the Stockback again and they did it. No problems. It converted after the next billing cycle. So far I really like the program. It's a good way to save money and you can also make extra deposits on your own to the fund if you wish.
    I think you'll like it. Good luck!!

3. ero2

ero2 Well-Known Member

one more question, if I have 0% for 18 months on my current platinum, would that carry over to the stockback card or no? also, is this card available for chase's 6.24 or 6.99 interest rate?

Thanks, miles!

4. ero2

ero2 Well-Known Member

also if you invest it instead of taking it as cash, is there a chance you can lose it? I know nothing about mutual funds and investing so, would the money I earn from the card go into the account, be invested, and earn a small amount of interest, and then have full liquidity to be taken out at any time? Like even if I put it in this stockback account can I withdraw it at any time?

5. miles

miles Well-Known Member

Re: Re: convert chase plat to stockback?

I'm not sure about your 0% for 18 months. I would assume it would carry over, but ask customer service to make sure.
    I did not have any promo rate at the time I traded accounts, but they did give me the intro rate for new cardmembers which was 2.9% for six months on no fee balance transfers and purchases. Also, my history carried over.
    As far as losing your investments, it is market sensitive. Your balance would fluctuate with the market value (up or down). I believe this is a great way to invest, especially if you are a beginner. I believe this is a great time to invest because stocks are at historic lows. If the value goes down some, just hold on to your shares until it goes back up. Mutual funds are somewhat safer than individual stock purchases as they are made up of many stocks in the portfolio. If one does bad, there are usually others that do well and make up the difference. Diversification, diversification, diversification. The only way to go. LOL Also, you can remove money any time you want!
    Hope this helps. :)

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: convert chase plat to stockback?

I CLOSED MINE (PLAT)...GOOD RIDDANCE!!!

7. miles

miles Well-Known Member

Sorry, I forgot part of your queston. In regards to the interest rate, I'm not positive about getting the 6% rate. I think you may be able to. Someone on this board posted they did with the Stockback card. I haven't tried yet as I'm still riding my 2.9% intro rate. You can be sure that as soon as that is up, I will be calling. LOL
    I will post when I find out. Please let me know if you find out something as well. Thanks