Correct Credit Card Usage

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by H.C., Dec 12, 2000.

1. H.C.

H.C. Guest

Hi everyone,
    Are there circumstances when using certain types of cards not being "politically"
    correct? E.G. Using a Gold/Platnium AMEX or a Diners for small purchases such as snacks at a convenience store under 5 bucks. I've been led to believe that one should be using a "working" card such as a Visa or M.C. saving the big cards for larger amounts. Any insight is greatly appreciated on what a "correct" minimum purchase requirement on the higher end cards should be.

Thanks much

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think that you have nothing to worry about. The idea of NOT using a certain card so as to not "upset" someone's sense of harmony with politcal correctness is silly. A card is simply a tool to either (a) receive benefits of some type or (b) extend payment or both. Enjoy having a "high level" account and use it wisely.

3. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

I've charged $0.07 in gasoline at a Shell Station on my Amex Platinum Card and was never visited one dark night by the Credit Card Political Correctness Police, Minimum Purchases Enforcement Division, for the dastardly deed. (What happened was that the pump malfunctioned after only dispensing 7 cents worth of gasoline.)

It's up to the merchant to decided what the minimum purchase for a credit card is going to be. The credit card issuers have no policy regarding a minimum charge amount. They would be happy to process a charge for $0.01 and get $0.40 or what ever the minimum transaction fee is from the merchant.

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Actually, I believe merchants are PROHIBITED from having a minimum charge for some brands... like AMEX.

5. average jo

average jo Guest

I agree.I carry nothing but all PLATINUM!make a person feels good on responsible use of credit.It does not matter how much you charge but it is how responsible on paying it back.After all credit is known as cards of "trust".Being trusted by a lender is a great thing because you are building a relationship with the bank.Lenders also will offer very reasonable interest rates to anyone with a good credit history.

6. RM

RM Guest

I try to keep it over $10 if possible. Small business owners often pay per-transaction charges in addition to the upcharges (often 1.5 to 3%). I hate handing over my Amex to a struggling small-business owner for a $5 purchase.

7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

struggling? I did not think we were in charity mode. I pay fees l ike most people around here for a credit card. I have the right to use it as I see fit. In fact, the small business would get LESS business without credit cards..... just something to think about....

8. Joanne

Joanne Guest

I appreciate that you pay fees for your credit card and use it as you see fit. However, I'm sure that this type of attitude along with people paying for under £5-10 at small shops has led to shops developing policies of not accepting credit/debit cards for purchases under this amount. Something for you to think about - perhaps.

9. the other

the other Well-Known Member

Joe,

You would probably feel different about this is you owned your own business.

10. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Minimum purchases violate VISA AND MASTERCARD policy and are also prohibited by some states by law.
    DISCOVERCARD says call for authorization for <$1.00.

WHEN CASH IS A THING OF THE PAST, YOU WILL HAVE NO CHOICE...EITHER WRITE A CHECK FOR $3.79 OR USE YOUR AMEX PLATINUM!!!

11. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

I'll buy whatever the hell I want from anyplace I want, with whatever card I want. It wouldn't bother me to buy a beer and a pack of Twinkies with Carte Blanche, Diners Club, or Optima Platinum.

If the business doesn't want to take my card for so small a purchase, then screw them! I'll find another one who'll do business with me. Politically correct or not, I pay my bills, and I don't give a damn what anybody thinks about what I buy and what means I use to purchase it. As long as I don't run out of a store without paying for an item, it's mine and it's paid for.

I guess that's an advantage of my being a senior citizen. I don't feel inclined to care about what other people think about me.Even if I were 40 years younger, it's doubtful anyone else is really paying attention to what card I'm using for anything.

12. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

I have about 18 cards, but I only use the Amex Delta to charge. I use all my other credit to invest. I am sure that is not the politically correct way of using credit. It is what works for me.

http://www.creditsense.com

13. average jo

average jo Guest

I beleive you on investing with credit.People just got to know what they are doing.I can't beleive what i am seeing.There is light at the end of the tunnel for me after i pay-off my debt.I am going to study quite a bit to weigh my options on investing with credit.Beleive me i caught on this this thing of doing as far with credit cards.Thank you for showing me the secret on investing with credit cards.

14. will

will Active Member

last week was down the keys we went for dinner after bill for 290.00 pull my card reply we do not take plastic so i had to go find abank.

average joe wrote:
    -------------------------------
    I beleive you on investing with credit.People just got to know what they are doing.I can't beleive what i am seeing.There is light at the end of the tunnel for me after i pay-off my debt.I am going to study quite a bit to weigh my options on investing with credit.Beleive me i caught on this this thing of doing as far with credit cards.Thank you for showing me the secret on investing with credit cards.

15. mt

mt Guest

Where did you go to dinner so I can remind myself not to go there assuming I'm in the keys anytime soon. Really, I just assume that most places take cards, w/ the exception of most fast food places, but then here, some of them take cards too.

16. RM

RM Guest

Not Charity

Not Charity... Just trying to be a good citizen. How's your karma account, Joe?

17. RM

RM Guest

Fees?

Joe wrote:
    I pay fees l ike most people around here for a credit card. I have the right to use it as I see fit. In fact, the small business would get LESS business without credit cards.....

I do not pay fees on any of my credit cards.

Indeed, I do have the right to use my cards as I see fit, just like you do. I don't see fit to use them for buying just one loaf of bread and a gallon of milk.

18. RM

RM Guest

Doris K. wrote:
    If the business doesn't want to take my card for so small a purchase, then screw them!

---

To quote another poster... You'd feel different if that were *your* business on the receiving end of those piss-ant transactions.

You're a senior citizen? I thought only twentysomethings and teens were allowed to have a to-hell-with-everyone-else attitude. Such.... chutzpah!

19. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I USE CREDIT CARDS WHERE THEY ARE ACCEPTED!!!

In most cases (except for an occasional
    BIG MAC at McDonalds) I do not even give the businesses that don't take credit cards even $1.00 CASH!!!

20. TommyC

TommyC Guest

Hi Will & MT,
    In many costal parts of Florida, you will find that, the freshest native seafood (rock lobster, rock shrimp and blue crabs, to name a few) served over tables covered with newspapers with wooden malets, and motorcycles parked outside, as a general rule, don't accept credit cards. The tendency with these types of eateries, is to accept cash only, so that the proprietors, can get the best prices for their live "catches of the day," and that involves showing the fisherman, the money! Cash flow is the lifeblood, of many of these "mom & pop-style" concerns. I always have enough cash, just in case one of my subprime cards, embarasses me in public, beyond the fact that it is a subprime card, LOL! Trying to find an atm, could prove to be quite a challenge otherwise. TommyC