Correctly counting 30 days?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by lawgrl2b, Aug 26, 2008.

1. lawgrl2b

lawgrl2b New Member

Hi, a bit of a newbie per se...

My question is what is the proper way to count the 30 days? is it 3? business days, 30 days regardless of weekends n holidays (like regular bills) or 30 days but adding on time for any holiday periods.

I know to allow for mail delays and once they recv it (provided I have a cert mail receipt) start count. ex. ca recvs letter on june 1st by my count they have until july 1st but I wld give until approx July 5th due to mail sys

Am I right by my example?

2. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

Collection agencies or credit reporting agencies? Collection agencies do not have to respond in a certain time period (unless you are in TX), you r July 1 +5 is good for CRAs. The statute says 30 days, not 30 business days :)

3. lawgrl2b

lawgrl2b New Member

im in tx so how does that chng things

4. jjgross

jjgross Well-Known Member

Texas law is more consumer friendly you can go to the State website and check the law's for debt collection.

5. collectman

collectman Well-Known Member

In Texas a collection agency must simply notify the debtor within 30 days including the validation as required, or simply telling the debtor they need more time.

6. apexcrsrv

apexcrsrv Well-Known Member

It changes nothing for cra's and they can take up to 45 days if they deem the dispute is derived from a free report.

7. lawgrl2b

lawgrl2b New Member

oh ok. thx it mks more sense now. I used to be in Ilinois so they are a little different . I like tx laws

8. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

And if they don't include validation, and they are reporting, they must "change the item in the relevant file as requested by the individual" - that is why you always include in a TX DV a request that they delete the info from your reports. ;)

9. lawgrl2b

lawgrl2b New Member

Oh ok that I didn't know I'll be sure to note that thx a lot

10. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

Look up Texas Finance Code Chapter 392. Its your best friend when it comes to debt collection in Texas.

11. phantom

phantom Well-Known Member

They also do this if they feel like it...trust me, my disputes from my 100% paid for reports were still being investigated 40 days out.