CR abbreviated accounts numbers

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Phreedom, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Phreedom

Phreedom Well-Known Member

Ok check this out. I called EQ today and asked them why a few of the accounts numbers listed on some trade lines were abbreviated (example: "3828......". with a bunch of periods). The rep's response was "Oh account numbers are always truncated. "

So I cite some other examples from the same report of accounts with 15 digits and no periods. The reply was those are also truncated they just dont have the periods.

I didn't just fall off the frickin turnip truck like they think so I pressed the issue but got the same response over and over again. I also asked if EQ is responsible or the CA is responsible for the trucation. I didn't get a straight answer.

Couldn't this be considered innacurate reporting?

2. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

abbreviated accounts numbers
    Couldn't this be considered innacurate reporting?
    Phreedom
    =================
    abbreviated accounts numbers are considered protection against Identity Theft.
    Think about it. Would you want someone to get hold of your credit reports listing all your complete account numbers for the world to see?
    THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """"```~~~```'""'''

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

FRAUD PREVENTION!!!!

Your account number is 4999-2255-2589-0036

It "USUALLY" says---->4999-2255-2589.......
    or --------------------->4999-2255-2589-XXXX

IT IS UP TO THE CRA AND THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY

4. Phreedom

Phreedom Well-Known Member

Thanks George!

5. amish

amish Well-Known Member

Fraud prevention? My C.U. and student loan account numbers are my SSN followed by 0001, 0002, 0003, etc. That 4 numbers is just enough to be truncated while leaving my entire SSN visible for more than a few trade lines. Someone willing to yank the CR from my mailbox is probably smart enough to figure this out. Fraud prevention is a fraud! I think it's more like "dispute prevention"

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: CR abbreviated accounts numbers

You just use what they give you---->this account was never 30 days late 4999-2255-2589-XXXX

You should get your ACCOUNT NUMBER CHANGED...A SS# SHOULD NOT BE USED EXCEPT FOR SOCIAL SECURITY AND INCOME TAX PURPOSES...

Some states used SS# for the license #

THEY ARE FINALLY GETTING A NEW NUMBER SYSTEM...

All you need is a RNG that will not repeat any numbers...THEY DO IT WITH PHONE NUMBERS...THEY CAN DO IT WITH YOUR CU/STUDENT LOAN ACCOUNTS

7. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Your checking account number is NOT your SS#
    Your phone number is NOT your SS#
    Your sears card number is NOT your SS#
    Your electric bill account number is NOT your SS#

NEED I GO ON???

8. crowmom

crowmom Well-Known Member

i had a partial account # on my report from bank of america. I had no idea what it was for (bank account? credit card?) so i called B of A (did i just figure out what BofA stands for? lol) and explained that i had a TL that i didnt think was mine, and i only had a partial account #. After being transferred a couple of times, all they could say was 'we cant find it....are you sure you dont know the entire account number?" HA! If they cant find it for me, then i'm hoping they cant find it for the CRAs. (that is, if the CRAs even investigate like they're supposed to) either way, its very old, almost 6 yrs, so its about to fall off anyway. So in that regard, partial numbers are a benefit for us.

9. tmitchell

tmitchell Well-Known Member

The CRAs more than likely have the full acct number. They just don't publish it on the report.

10. lakpr

lakpr Well-Known Member

My credit union also uses SSNs as account numbers -- I insisted that the account number be changed, and they complied.

All that may be needed is for you to place a request with your credit union to change your account number.
    The risk is not just with your credit reports -- it is also with your regular credit union statements... All that's needed for another member of the credit union who is aware of the policy and is willing to commit theft is to get hold of one of your credit union statements

Regards