CRA hackers!!!!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by godaddyo, Jun 9, 2001.

1. godaddyo

godaddyo Well-Known Member

2. heather

heather Well-Known Member

I am not sure what I am looking at?

3. Linda

Linda Well-Known Member

Ummm ... me either.

4. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

hacker techniques for getting information from credit bureau computer systems.

But - it looks like this information is pretty old. Interesting stuff, anyway.

Maybe this is how my DOB got changed to 1919, hehe.

breeze

5. godaddyo

godaddyo Well-Known Member

I wasnt sure either. I was hoping that one of the resident computer whiz types would know. Its all over the web. Just though it was funny, thats all

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

IF A HACKER GOT INTO YOUR CREDIT REPORT FOR SOME REASON...YOU HOPE HE WOULD DELETE THE NEGATIVES...NOT DELETE THE POSITIVES AND ADD MORE NEGATIVES!!!

7. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

So that's how my TU went totally into oblivion last year! LOL

8. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Well, I'm not a computer hacker nor a computer whiz, but I've been around them from the engineering and programming and building computers standpoints since back in 1975, on the internet since 1982 when Compuserve was the only thing out there, so I'm not exactly a newbie either. One thing that stands out in my mind is that if the info is more than about 1 year old, you would not be likely to be able to hack into their systems anyway. That's because they would be useing routers which do not reply to pinging techniques, therefore the only way you could even dream of getting in is to know their DNS numbers in advance. Their routers are most likely using psuedo DNS numbers too for masking purposes. Then on top of that, they would be using firewalls on their hubs which follow the routers. Then they would have one or more computers constantly scanning their ports for intruders and the software would instantly capture the intruders DNS numbers and they would then have the evidence with which to file federal and state complaints on the hacker for intruding on someone else's computer.

All in all, I don't think I'd want to take a chance of trying to get in even if I knew how to actually do it. Not a wise thing to do these days because of all the security systems a place like that would have put in place. The cost would not mean a thing to them because they would simply write it off on taxes.

9. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I think the info on that site is/was about how to dial in as a subscriber to the service - it probably worked in 1985. They are referring to a very old modem - the kind where you put the telephone receiver in a "cradle" on the modem.

Speaking of history - in the late 1960's I was in college, and worked part time for a professor at Columbia University, with one of the computers they had there. It took up most of the building, had vacuum tubes, mag cards, and was down most of the time. :D

breeze

10. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Did they call it an EINIAC by some odd chance?

Just kidding. EINIAC was the first computer ever built as far as I know. It was built back around 1949 or maybe as late as 1952, It was supposed to have been a monster in size too and because of all the vacuum tubes it used it required a huge power substation to power it and keep it cool. It was supposed to have been a real beast. I wouldn't know myself because I only read reports about it in various magazines back then. By the time I heard about it, it was probably already dismantled and sent to the junk heap.