CRA's excuse for verification

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Saar, Feb 2, 2001.

1. Saar

Saar Banned

Until recently, I couldn't get neither Equifax nor Experian reports on line, with or without a fee. Now I can, thanks to the new verification system!

Let's see how this system works. Before, when I provided all personal info, they were "unable to verify identity". Now, they try verifying I am who I say I am, using the following questions:

"Your report indicates that you MAY (?) have a mortgage tradeline open as of XX/199X. Who is the creditor? [Great, I'm a trivia fan]:
    1. Creditor A
    2. Creditor B
    3. Creditor C
    4. None of the above." [this is usually the most tempting option :)].

Mortgage? Nope. I tick option #4.

But there's more!

"What is the monthly payment you make on the above mortgage? $1000/$2000/$3000/None."

Why EVEN Experian should be smart enough to guess I don't make payments on my non-existent mortgage. I opt again: "None of the above".

Low and behold, my identity is now verified! I feel much safer now. No imposter could possibly predict the right answers. Without a doubt, they are now employing a full-proof verification system.

Saar

2. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

RE: CRA's excuse for verificat

Saar, I posted about this a while back. Not worthknowing.comcouldn't verify my information using that system. I had no mortgage and no car loan. Option 4 wasn't an option for me. Not even with a 0 monthly payment. Besides that, they put 17 hard inquiries on my credit report in 1 day. I only tried it 2 or 3 times.

3. Darrell

Darrell Guest

Worthknowing claims the "hard" inquiries are only a formatting error on TU's end. The inquiries are soft, according to Wowthknowing.

4. Saar

Saar Banned

My post refers to official web sites of Experian & Equifax, not to 3rd parties.

(I had the same problem as yours with WN.com).

Saar

5. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Trans Union took off all but one by phone. The rep didn't even know what worthknowing was.