Credit Card Approvals with BK

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by NanaC, Jul 21, 2001.

1. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Re: update

Nana,

A couple of comments on my prior post:

Get Chevron off your list. There is a future thread coming from me if I get my EQ inquiry off due to the 5 year rule. Don't consider Chevron as a maybe.

Nordstrom is BK friendly after 2 years but my advice is to call them and apply. Don't do it on-line. When you call, the policy will be read to you.

I got Cap One the month I filed for Chap 7 BK.

Don't overlook the credit unions. 2 of my 6 visa cards are CU. All favorable terms, low apr. etc.
    $6K on one card $2K on the other.

Ford is very BK favorable for an auto loan

I am - Filed Chap 7 BK in 11-98. Discharged 2/99

Yes you are at a disadvantage with a Chap 13. Sorry about the troll.

2. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

I have more credit cards that survived my BK (I had $0 balances on them, so they were not filed) than I have opened since my BK.

I filed a Chapter 7 last year and I have a Sears. This is what happened though, I had a $0 balance on Sears so I did not file them. I pulled my TU in November to find out Sears closed the account and stated it was due to BK. I obtained my Sears in 99 before all my credit problems started. My attorney tried re-affirm Sears (with the $0 balance just to keep the card open) just prior to discharge. The rep told him that since the account was already closed, Sears could not re-affirm or re-open the account. The rep told my attorney to have me re-apply for a new account 4 months post BK and because I did not file them in the BK, they would open a new account.

This really bothered me because I did not include them in my BK and did not owe them at the time. A couple of months ago, I called their BK department and was told that my account was not closed due to BK, but because I had a zero balance and that Sears will arbitrarily close accounts with zero balances. My attorney also told me that Sears will do this. Their BK dept is only open till 7P.M. central time and I happened to call at 6:45. I explained what was told to my attorney about opening a new account. The rep looked up my old account said it looked good. He suggested that I called earlier in the day the next day and request to speak to a supervisor. He couldn't promise anything, but was pretty sure my old account could be re-opened. I did what he said and it took about two weeks for Sears to review my account, but happily Sears reinstated my account with my old CL. They corrected their entry on my credit report.

Unfortunately, I cannot speak about apply post BK the only thing I can suggest is calling and asking a supervisor what their guidelines are.

3. annie

annie Well-Known Member

Sears!!!!!!!!!!!! I think they do a multi-generational search and ask for a pint of blood the next successive generations and some DNA. For the life of me, even when I had good credit, I could not get a Sears Card. I will keep my fingers crossed for my grandchildren. maybe they will be able to get one.

annie

4. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

LOL...there you go..there's your answer!

5. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

DARN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted a Sears card.

My Ex (girlfriend that is, never been married) got a pre-approval with a 3500 limit and she is totally maxed out with a few slow pays....my score has to be higher than hers.

Must be some weird alogarithm in ther esomewhere....

Thanks for your help, Nana...

Keep this AWESOME thread going.....

Shawn
    (soooo addicted to this board)

6. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

BUMPing back to page one.

Inquiring minds want to know!!!!!!

Shawn

7. amaineman

amaineman Well-Known Member

Sears is brutal,
    Turned my father down for having too much open credit on a major appliance purchase.

Despite his perfect credit rating.

8. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Update to list!

Credit Cards After BK filing date. (If this is incorrect, please let me know. For instance, for BK13..is it after discharge/dismissal? Let me know how you were couting, BK13 group.)

Clarifications: Moved Chevron because it was thought to be a fluke and with Jim's info added.

STARTER BK CARDS: score? bad.
    1. Household - unsecured 300
    2. Cap1 - Unsecured 300
    3. Providian visa - 500
    4. FCNB - unsecured - $1000
    5. Cap1 - Secured

6 MOS - 1 YEAR REBUILDING CREDIT: score low 600s
    1. Cap1 - unsecured gold 500
    2. Prov MC - unsecured 500
    3. Orchard - unsecured $500
    4. Target - unsecured 200

1-2 YEARS REBUILDING: score mid 600s
    1. Aria/Getsmart Visa - unsecured - $500
    2. AT&T Wireless - No deposit
    3. Nextcard - unsecured 750 no annual fee.
    4. Cap1 Platinum - unsecured 5000. Yes, platinum. started w/regular card and negotiated credit line to platinum. (Wow!)
    5. Cross Country Bank Visa - unsecured - $300, then $600, then $1250 over time. *
    6. Cross Country Bank MC - unsecured - $350 *
    7. Dillards - unsecured - $500
    8. Circuit City â?? unsecured -$2000

2+ Years Rebuilding: score low to mid 600's:
    1. Aspire - unsecured - $500
    2. Providian Gold
    3. Voicestream - No deposit
    4. Bank One Checking Account with Debit Card after 5 months usage
    6. Mortgage
    7. Nordstrom - suggest not applying on-line

Will not accept BK
    Monogram Bank = MB
    1. Lowe's (MB)
    2. Home Depot (MB)
    3. Walmart
    4. Mervyns
    5. Exxon/Mobile
    6. Amex Green
    7. Nextcard **
    8. Citgo
    9. Amex Optima Secured
    10.Home Depot
    11.CitiBank
    12. Associates: Citgo (try manual 24 ms+, 3 good lines)
    13. First USA (try manual 5+ years discharge)
    14. Bank of America
    15. Sears

Smart Suggestions:
    1) Try Credit Unions
    2) Ford is BK friendly

*See note in first message of thread
    ** Seen on approved and not approved both.

9. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Re: Update to list!

Sorry I'm so late chiming in, Nana...

Bank of America - will consider post-BK if you have established credit and can show unusual circimstances (business loss, medical, etc.)

First N.A. Nat. Bank - 3 years after, was sent pre-approved $1000, now (6 years later) it's $7900

Citibank MC- will consider post-BK after 7 years

Citibank Diners Club - will consider post-BK if you have established credit and can show unusual circimstances (business loss, medical, etc.)

Fleet - forget it - won't do anything with you until BK falls off (they inherited me from a merger and I had unsecured lines of credit and MC).

First USA - "office of the president" person I spoke with last year said as long as the BK is showing on the credit report, no explanations could override the system.

NextCard - 5 years post-BK, without any explanation needed, $10k (with $5k bal xfer).

Monogram Bank:
    -Home Depot: preapproved $2k sent & accepted 4 years post-BK, now $11k
    -Exxon: preapptoved $1k sent & accepted 4 years post-BK
    -WalMart Store Card: preapproved $2k sent (I didn't return it - I like Target)
    -JCPenney Store Card: preapproved $2500 sent (I didn't return it- I like Macys)
    -Mens Wearhouse: applied after receiving all of the above preapproved offers ... declined, nothing they can do about it until BK goes off credit report (can't you take $1k off my Home Depot and put it on a Mens Wearhouse card?? no way, sorry)

Federated (Macy's) Store Card - 2 years post-BK was able to override with explanation.

Federated (Pres. Club Visa)- 3 years post BK was able to override with explanation and good (>680) score

That's all I can add... hope it helps!

-mj

10. OtherTerri

OtherTerri Well-Known Member

Supershawn-Sears and bk

Hi-
    My husband got a Sears Plus in Feb with a bk from 7-91 (yeah, fell of this month). This is only for large purchases. The credit limit is $472. However, our starting balance was over $600! I am arguing with them now that I know this is a bad thing.

I didn't know anything about credit way back then (5 months ago!!), so I don't know his score, but from May on they have been low 600's. We have several negs we are working on.

We applied for a "regular" Sears card and were turned down due to bk. They told us to apply again when it was gone (they knew it would be July) and we should be approved. He did, and they sent a letter last week telling him he could not apply because it was too close to the last time he applied!

11. FeliceRodo

FeliceRodo Well-Known Member

mj,

I couldn't tell from the post whether the NextCard 10k was your starting limit? How about the others - all yours?

Great job on credit if they are all yours.

12. FeliceRodo

FeliceRodo Well-Known Member

Nana,

Cheveron told me they approve starting 5 years after filing date of bk. They only go back five years and do not care if Chevron was on bk (mine had them, that's why I asked). Then it's your score and credit worthiness the previous five years.

You said someone posted to you on Chevron, but I wasn't sure of the information because I didn't read it.

I apologize if I am duplicating info for your list.

13. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Explanation of the Monogram cards above: old system used to allow manual overrides on bk.

NO MORE.

hence why the same person can have old Monogram cards but cannot get new ones.

14. annie

annie Well-Known Member

I have been reading all of this and seeing the cards and limits and I am just astounded. I have never had a BK, but a foreclosure and I am sure this is impacting me. But even before then, i could not get this sorts of limits. The most I have is:

Dillards $1500
    FashionBug $990
    Kmart $200

I call all my denial and get the same song and dance. I beg, cajole and sometimes get down right hostile. So I guess time clean and sober is the only thing that will help me (from apps that is , LOL!)

Annie

15. Fat Jake

Fat Jake Well-Known Member

Sorry Nana C I missed this post. I've been working hard with the Studies... Anyway I was Mr. Chapter 7 here for a while... I see I got some buddies!

Chapter 7 Jan 96.

3/98 First Premier for $250 (cost $200 in Fee's)
    Closed 11/99

1/99 Providian Classic for 1K now 7K. Alot of activity. 19.8 APR now.

11/99 Western Security Bank 1K (Secured) (They closed all secured accounts because of trouble in some type of descrimination suit) 11/00 Great card had 5.99 APR!!!! I should have asked for a regular card!

1/00 Direct Merchants Bank $1001 (Semi-secured they have $600 of my $)

6/00 Aria $1k now at 2.1k and Now it's GETSMART.

4/00 Sprint PCS with $200 ASL (Assigned Spending Limit - Lifted in 6 months).

Equifax score of 675.

4/01 Target (through advice of postings here-needed a store card) $500. Have not been offered or recieved new card.

Don't need anymore credit now. Will recheck score in November when Target is > 6 months old. I think I could see 700 before it falls off.

16. Fat Jake

Fat Jake Well-Known Member

Opps Forgot Capital one

11/99 Capital One Visa $500 now $1600 (Has a Grace). Use often

Also I wanted to ad. I only use Providian Visa for net purchases and Large Purchases that I can't make with others. Everyone knows PROVIDIAN is subprime card.

I used Direct Mechant Titanium card mostly on little purchases here and there. People mistake it for platimun. I can tell because I always get that double-take look. (Grin)

I use Capital one Casually too.

17. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Felice-

10k was starting limit (now 12) - they offered 3k @ 15.99 with no balance transfer, 6k @ 12.99 with 3000 in transferred balances, and 10k @ 9.99 with >$5k in transfers.

It went as low as 7.49 (prime + .49) but the s-o-b's changed the terms to 9.99 fixed when the prime went down!

---------

To the rest - my situation is probably a little unique - my BK didn't include any of my consumer debt, medical and stuff, so when I send the creditor the list of what was included in the BK, and they see my credit report (20+ accounts in good standing, 1 negative - the BK filing) it makes sense to them.

It did take a lot of effort on my part to overcome - and there are still lenders that won't work with me. That's OK - I'll never do business with them even when my credit is back to >800 FICO.

I'm diapoointed to hear about Monogram, but I can believe it. The cards I've gotten from Monogram were all pre-approved. The only one I tried for I was declined for. D-u-m-b!

-mj

18. donna8284

donna8284 Well-Known Member

This is a great thread! I refer to it all the time. I thought it would be a great idea to give it alittle update. Anything anyone can add????

19. superadman

superadman Banned

NanaC, Sorry I'm so late chiming in, I've been working 'round the clock with little time for my computer. I got my chapter 7 BK discharged in 1996. I stayed away from credit until 2001. In April 2001 my scores were all in the low 400's. My scores have climbed since then, but I'm having a helluva toe to toe fight with Equifax.

I don't have any secured cards except a partially secured First Nat'l Bank of Marin Visa. The secured amount is $200, the Credit Limit is $800. All the rest of my credit cards are unsecured cards that have been mentioned already.

But I was turned down last week for Amex LOC despite my 723 Experian score. They pulled Experian and rejected me due to the BK. I have 10 positive tradelines all with perfect payment histories. I have 0 negative tradelines. My Equifux is not high enough yet for me to expect to get approved for everything I apply for. But when I get turned down by someone that pulls Experian, I pretty much know it's the BK. I am currently under consideration by Umbrella Bank, (they pull Experian) we'll see what happens.

I reluctantly enlisted the aid of a credit repair service again on an unusual trial basis because they want to take a stab at my BK. They say they have a few tricks up their sleeve that I haven't tried yet. We'll see what happens.

Can you post the latest updated list NanaC?

20. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Add Bloomingdales to the list. However, I have been a Macy (sister company) customer since the 1980's. I got BL exactly 3 years after filing BK.

I got the Target visa with a 10K limit also at the 3 year mark. I had a regular Target card for some months before the visa became available.

As a side issue, I have opened thousands in CU unsecured credit since July when this thread was last open. This credit includes credit cards and a line of credit.

I am pleased that someone reopened this thread for the new members interested in BK friendly companies.

Jim