credit card criteria

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Jordan, Jun 8, 2000.

1. Jordan

Jordan Guest

I was wondering how difficult it would be to obtain American Express's new Blue card. Does anyone have any experience with AMEX, other than their secured Optima card? Are they conservative in their credit criteria?

2. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

You need to have virtually unblemished credit to get an Amex card. Perhaps they would overlook on "WAS 30" from 5 years ago, but if you have any collection accounts, charge-offs, judgements, liens, BKs, or serious delinquencies, forget it.

3. Jordan

Jordan Guest

No, I have nothing derogatory whatsoever, not even a late payment or very many inquiries. I just have a short credit history (less than a year), and that is my greatest concern.

4. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

Amex is known to have conservative underwriting criteria. Less than a year might not be enough. If however, you are a recent college graduate and just starting out, they would probably consider giving you a card. I got my Amex card when I was a senior in college and had a job offer in hand.

I would call them and ask them, although they might not be very helpful. Likely they will want to take an application over the phone. The reps don't know what the specific underwriting standards are.

5. Jordan

Jordan Guest

Well, I'll give it a try. I'm only a college freshman, and I know they have a credit and charge card for college students. But i'm attracted to the new Blue card. Thanks for the insight!