CREDIT CARD HISTORY By The Board

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dogman, Sep 23, 2001.

1. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Hi all:

I was just re-reading some posts and relooked at some basics we have all determined by reading each other's historical posts:

1. Providian has two separate banks, prime and subprime. One is in Tilton, New Hampshire. I forget where number two is located. Corp Offices are in SF- Bay area.
    Apparently, not one of their cardholders reported ever being changed to prime - even after maintaining large credit lines and superb performance for years.
    We did see ONE POST of someone whose mother got a Providian High LIMIT Card that was super prime!

2. Capital One has slow, small, credit lines initially.
    They increase only on perfect performance. BUT,
    I personally am able to PROVE Cap One moves subprime to prime - when appropriate. They even change out the plastic. They are super about interest rates.

3. AMEX - an applicant must never have screwed them in the past - with an unpaid balance. BUT, you can repay, and with some manual input, it can be obtained - even with a BK on record. Granted, AMEX is the most difficult card to obtain - but it can be a flexible company and certainly immediately enhances a credit rating. Having AMEX allows you to call other companies with whom you do business and DEMAND an excellent rate or better credit limit..

My credit received more of a boost when AMEX started reporting - than any other event. It is leverage.

DINERS CLUB falls into the same category of course!

4. CITI - Roni let us know that CITI was in the business of giving out cards with high limits. I bet the AA or UNITED Cards are being given out to anyone right now - since no one wants to fly.....

5. NEXTCARD - this company is quickly going 50/50 on % of customers satisfied. Personally, I believe they are an internet company needing cash infusion. They started out as super prime, with very high limit cards. GEORGE obviously got one at that point. BUT, they have threatened many people with interest hikes.

Today, we see that some posters got their limits increased dramatically. We also saw a post from MOMof3: her friend had 4 PLAT cards and got offered their SECURE CARD!

Jury is out on this one - but probably, NEXTCARD needs to be acquired by someone larger.

=================
    The list goes on and on. BUT, after reading posts like these, it certainly charts a "path forward" on what cards to get so one can enjoy perfect credit, regardless of previous circumstances.

c ya dogman

2. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

Good research, Dog. Lets not leave out Chase, we know they give hign limits and allow multiple accounts.
    I know we can't cover them all here, but Chase is worth mentioning.

www.creditsense.com

3. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

CHASE - ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Hi C!

Yup - I will immediately get a CHASE Card once the BK falls off! There are a great company!

hope all is well - dogman

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: CHASE - ABSOLUTELY!!!!

dogman
    Jury is out on this one - but probably, NEXTCARD needs to be acquired by someone larger.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CITIBANK needs to buy (AND EAT UP~~~PUT OUT OF EXISTENCE) NEXT CARD so I can finally get a CITIBANK card...
    I just can't figure how they think they are "TOO GOOD FOR ME"...

5. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Rumor has it Nextcard is being looked at by a decent bank.

While Citibank has their eyes set on another one.

6. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I think B of A should be put in the mix as offering prime cards with good BT deals to folks with short credit history, which is usually the case with someone who has had problems and resolved them.

7. eman

eman Well-Known Member

Any opinion on Discover given the fact that they are the fourth card after VISA, MS, and AMEX?

8. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Good post Dogman. I wonder what you think about Household bank. They are trying to get into the prime game by offering balance transfers.

And of course dont forget Chase and BofA. Isnt it terrible that we dont have at least 3 more banks to go to for 2nd chances and decent rates.

9. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I thought HOUSEHOLD was PRIME...but they have some connection with "FINANCE".

"FINANCE" is a bad word...

10. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

The other Providian Bank is in Salt Lake City.