Credit Card Usage, I need Help!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by ALAN, May 3, 2001.

1. ALAN

ALAN Well-Known Member

Here is my situation:

Problem: I have 3 major credit cards, a Discover platinum, an Amex Blue and a Citibank Platinum Select. All three have excellent credit limits. I like all of these cards, they have great Apr's and benefits as well. As far as I know, these are all prime cards. The last card I received was the Discover Platinum about 3 weeks ago. I got this card because I like the idea of getting cash back. However, I like my Amex Blue and Citibank as well. If I use the Discover for all purchases, my other cards will have very little activity. I want to keep all of my accounts active and in good standing. What should I do, use only 1 card out of the three or divide spending limits among all 3 cards to keep all accounts active. If I do the latter, my cash back bonus won't be as great, but that really is too important when you consider the benefits of the other cards as well. Wouldn't my credit reports look better if I had 3 accounts with equal usage from month to month? I do not want to close any of these accounts. What are your thoughts and opinions on this matter?

Solution: I need everyone's thoughts and ideas on the matter, please assist me.

2. steve

steve Well-Known Member

Alan,

I have the same cards you do and I usually charge all of them every month in order to show some activity. I would not get rid of any of those cards because they offer some great benefits and rewards. You could just charge a different card every month so that all of the accounts would be active and you'll still get some benefits.

3. Sorin

Sorin Well-Known Member

I charge as much as possible on my Discover to get caashback. Then I use My Citibank Platinum Select for car rentals and plane tickets, because of the better terms. My MBNA Platinum Plus holds my balance (speciall promo offer). My Providian is used for automated charges, insurance, ezpass, etc. Finally, Amex ... i don't know what I'll use it for, I just got it -- probably online purchases 9excellent protection)

This way all my accounts get some activity all the time.... hope this helps

4. chrisb

chrisb Well-Known Member

Alan,

Here's a simple suggestion. Every time you buy gas, or groceries, or anything at a store that you can pay by credit card do it. Keep a schedule, and rotate the cards in your wallet every week (use Discover, then next week Amex, then Citibank) Most people will have enough money in that type of purchases to keep the accounts all active. Then pay it all off at the end of each month. If you have any major purchases that you won't pay in 1 month, put it on a card, then use the other 2 in rotation each week until the one with a balance is paid off. Just my $.00365

5. JacquiG

JacquiG Well-Known Member

Just curious...any advantage to using each card for a MONTH as opposed to a week?

6. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

My thoughts. I don't worry about activity on any one card. I have 18 individual accounts and they all get exercised pretty regularly. I used them whenever they give me a teaser offer. The only card I use on a regular basis is my Delta Amex to accumulate miles.

Profit from the experience. Paying over 19% APR since May '96.

www.creditsense.com