credit card with extra credit.

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by fiiii, Jan 15, 2001.

1. fiiii

fiiii Guest

I was just wondering, what happens if you go to pay a credit card bill and you pay more than the debt? Eg. I have a debt of $200 and I accidently pay $400. Do I get credit from the bank of $200???

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

RE: credit card with extra cre

You just have a credit balance of <$200.00>...I do it all the time with DISCOVERCARD.

The only problem is if you had a "CREDIT LIMIT" of $200.00 you can't use the <$200.00 CREDIT> UNTIL THE CHARGES USE UP THE CREDIT...(don't try to charge $385.98 at one purchase... it won't work).

3. Saar

Saar Banned

Actually the useful thing to do is make a balance transfer for a sum higher than the actual balance.

If the other creditor offers a good BT rate, you can claim the credit balance, effectively getting a fee-free cash advance with minimal interest.

Saar

4. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: didnt happen that way at a

I ended up with a credit of $19.98 on my aria card the first month. my available credit went to like 269.98, and i charged $260-some dollars on the card in one lump charge. must be your bank that treats this.

5. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

hmmmm. I've never had my available credit increase when I have paid more than my balance. Including my Providian card. The same bank as aria.

weird

Kelly

6. the other

the other Well-Known Member

It depends on the creditor, some increase the available credit, and for some, the available credit remains as your credit limit.

7. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

Good tip, Saar. I do this all the time.

http://www.creditsense.com

8. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

I figured as much, I just thought it was weird since it was the same bank

Kelly