credit cards and jobs

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Mike, Mar 10, 2001.

1. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

Has anyone else noticed this analogy between the two:

You can't get a good credit card without credit history, but you can't build a history without a card. You can't get a good job without experience and you can't get experience unless you have a job. Just something to think about.

2. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

True, but there is no shame in starting from the bottom. started in the mail room my very first job, I now run a couple of successful businesses. I started out with a gas card, I now have in excess of $140,000 in credit.

Exercise your credit to make it grow.

http://www.creditsense.com

3. sam

sam Well-Known Member

it only takes about 6-9 months of credit from point "zero" (no negatives, nothing) till you reach platinum visa and amex gold levels. My brother started with 2 retails, a $100 limit macy's then next month got a $200 limit parisians, after 7 months both cards were upped to $500, he then applied for citibank AA silver got $2000 limit, 2 months later, he got a amex gold card pre-approval, mailed it in, and got it.

Of course with negatives, its 1000X harder, but for people with good income ($50K+) its very easy to break into the good cards. Don't expect $10K limits off the bat, but if you're going for status, its very easy to reach.

4. jshimmer

jshimmer Well-Known Member

Can't get a car without a job, can't get a job without a car.

Don't expect to be driving a Jaguar S-Type the day after you get your driver's license.

Don't expect Platinum cards the day after being legally able to apply for them.

As previously stated, you have to start at the bottom and work your way up.

5. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

I posted this to reflect upon my past credit experiences. I started out, like many people, with no history and got rejected for every preapproval offer I got in the mail, but one day I got a call from Providian and was offered a Visa card, my first credit card. Later I built up my credit and now I have 6 platinums and one gold, all with no annual fees. I'll always be grateful to Providian, the first company that took a chance on me when no other bank would. The hardest part about credit cards and jobs is getting started. Maintaining good credit is always the next challenge.

6. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Just like Mike

I am fond of Cap One not because they are a good card but because they extended me credit as I was doing a BK.