Credit Cards

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by tommyy, Oct 8, 2001.

1. tommyy

tommyy Well-Known Member

I just received approval for a Citi AA card on-line w/ a $5,000 limit 16%. I called customer service to inquire about lowering the interest rate and they stated after 4 days they could transfer me over to a citi platinum card at a much lower rate. Can this be true. They didn't do it today because I just applied yesterday and my account is still a "shell" at this point.Also, they would not tell me what CRA was pulled. I called all 3 CRA's and they also said no inquiry pulled. could it be too early to tell what inq. was pulled?

2. romanduv

romanduv Well-Known Member

Hi tommy,

You're in great shape. I'd apply immediately for their gold AA card as well, you'll be approved for that one too with a higher credit limit. Wait about 3-4 days until your account registers with their computers. Then call them up, combine the gold and silver AA cards, and switch to platinum select.

No annual fee, better APR. Citi CSR's don't hassle u at all when doing all the above.

They pulled equifax for me (california). I was lucky 'cos I got only one inquiry for both cards.
    Others ,like GEORGE, got 2 inquiries and no cards.

Good luck,
    -Roman

3. tommyy

tommyy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the valuable input!!!

4. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Be sure to put the exact same info (salary, years at job, etc.) as you did on the Silver application and you'll be o.k. Hurry...go do it! LOL....

5. tommyy

tommyy Well-Known Member

Roman,
    The first question on the on=line application ask if I already have a citi bank card or not. Since I did not apply until yesterday do I answer yes or no?

6. Cadillac408

If you say yes, it will ask you for the account number and the 3 digit code on the back of the card. Since you don't have the actual card, you have to put no I guess to be able to proceed.

7. tommyy

tommyy Well-Known Member

By completing a second app. will this jepordize my approval on the 1st card?

8. Cadillac408

NO!

9. tommyy

tommyy Well-Known Member

MP$40,
    Your a genius! Just rec'd a gold card for $5,500 with a 16.4% apr. In 4 or 5 days do i just call CS and ask to combine all $10,500 (citi aa silver $5,000) into a Platinum card?
    Thanks

10. MikeB

MikeB Banned

Congrats.
    Know your score that they pulled?

11. tommyy

tommyy Well-Known Member

At this point the CRA is unknown. I called all 3 and each one stated no inquiries have been pulled in last six months. I just applied yesterday so maybe it takes a couple days to hit their reports.
    My approx. scores are..Exp: 710, equifax 690, Tu 600. The TU score is their own which makes it virtually worthless.I have one medical collection unpaid for $100 and they explained that this one account is keeping my score low.It doesn't impact my score too much with FICO though. All other tradelines are the same on each report.

12. Cadillac408

What I did was waited until I received both cards and only activated one (the gold). Then I called CS and told them that I wasn't sure which card I wanted at the time so I applied for both but now I just want the gold only....can you please combine the silver to gold and then cancel silver? He said sure no problem and put me on hold. Came back and said it's DONE! Now I would wait until you receive both cards, then call the number on the back and say that you were unaware that the APR of the cards was farely high and that the Platinum select would better suit your needs. They should be able to product transfer you over no problem and send you out a new card.

I just waited for the cards to arrive but I think? that people have been able to transfer over after xx amount of days so that you don't have to wait around for a card. That exact amount of days is unknown to me.

And as far as me being a genius, I was just providing you with information that I learned on this board....so no extra thinking was really involved! ;-D

13. tommyy

tommyy Well-Known Member

MP$40,
    Thanks for the detail. I was going thru some old threads and noticed a few concerns regarding the gold (citi usa) and silver (citi corp) or vice versa being an isue because they are owned by different vendors. If I get this right I should combine first then change to the Platinum select and combine both limits. I did call Citi this morning and they said they would switch my silver aa to a platinum but to call back in 4 days because the account was new and in shell status. Now I recently rec'd approval for a gold I just hope there isn't any issues.

14. Cadillac408

No, there will be no issues. You'll be fine. I guess what you could do is combine Gold to Silver. Then wait like a month and transfer to Platinum??? I don't know.....maybe someone else has a better idea????

15. Bill B

Bill B Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Wait until about 3 buisness days after you were approved for the gold card..Call them and just say you would like to combine your silver AA with your gold one..That will be no problem and will be done that day..The next day just call back and say you would like to convert your gold AA to a platium select (Standard card) because you dont want the annual fee's and want the lower apr to do balance transfers..They will switch it that day! I just went through this 2 times once for me and then for wife..My wifes when i got the cards in (cuz i didnt write the acc #'s down) I did all this with one phone call..If you feel as tho you have a cool rep try taking it all the way with that one call..Heh i perfer girl reps...