Credit Check for a Job

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Concerned, Aug 1, 2001.

1. Concerned

Concerned Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experience with running a credit check for a job?? Like do they see a score, is it as tough as a prime credit card to get, etc.

I have a pending job offer. The headhunter who got me the gig said that the offer was contingent on a background check. I will pass the peeing in the cup, criminal background and driving record check but my credit is only mediocre.

I have a clean Exp. I have 2 paid charge-offs from 95 on TU and Eq. My FICOs run in the mid 600s on the reports with these derogs. Is this going to doom my chances of getting this job?

Should I dispute the charge-offs now so they are shown as "consumer disputes" or something?

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

IF THEY ADVERTISED 750+ F.I.C.O. ONLY...YOUR DOOMED...

But your F.I.C.O. should have NO barring on getting the job...

I can't EVER see hiring people based on their F.I.C.O. SCORE...(EXCEPT MAYBE YOU WOULD NOT WANT SOMEBODY IN THE ACCOUNTING OFFICE WITH A 400 F.I.C.O.

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

driving record check
    --------------------------------------------------
    THIS JOB IS A DRIVING RELATED JOB???

4. Concerned

Yes I will have to drive. I will have to travel and use company cars in addition to renting some.

5. Concerned

My position is technical and managerial. I will not have anything to do with company finances so why they are bothering I really don't know. But the headhunter did say a thorough background check and I signed a consumer credit report pull authorization. Anyway, I am really nervous about the whole thing. Ugh.

6. Jugnoo

Jugnoo Well-Known Member

Certain types of employers such as banks, brokerage companies etc. have to do 'due diligence' on new hires. They check for major IRS liens, judgments etc. Basically, state the truth (DO NOT lie) in the application and you will be just fine. If the application asks for any unpaid debts, list all your collections, unpaid charge offs etc. along with an explanation.

Do not worry too much. This is standard procedure.

7. roni

roni Well-Known Member

The ARMY did a credit check when I joined and was commissioned. Anyone can do it I guess.

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

AFTER IT SHOWS UP ON YOUR CREDIT REPORT...DISPUTE IT!!!!!!!

"I did NOT apply for a credit card or loan from that company"!!!!!!!!

9. Concerned

I am calling them now to give the go ahead. They never specifically asked for any disclosures about my financial situation so I never lied about having the paid charge-offs from so long ago. Interestingly this is a Fortune 100 company but not a brokerage or bank but a traditional consumer goods company. I worked for the phone company (Bell Atlantic) in college and they said they would run a credit check. They never did. All I did was the drug test. But I was only an intern, not a full-fledged employee. Go figure.

From what you said it sounds like a routine type thing. I mean clearly Roni was commissioned and I don't have anything as awful as IRS trouble, liens or judgements. Just some old credit card debt that was paid off after charge-off.

I'll post here when I find out who they pull and if I pass inspection:)

10. Jamee25

Jamee25 Well-Known Member

I have a BK two years old, no charge offs, score is about 580, and was denied a job with an insurance company. Apparently I failed their background check, and they said they they couldnt consider me for employment any further due to info they found on my credit report. They sent me that letter with a copy of my report. How degrading! I have been in that fielld for almost 8 years, I had passed all of their testing and drug testing and everything, but failed the background check. I am aboslutely no criminal, Ive only had 1 speeding ticket in my life, but was denied due to a bankruptcy. Thats the only negative thing I have on my credit rept. So yunfortunatly, it can happen. This was last year when I was considering leaving my job, but have since decided to stay!

Im sure you'll be fine since you dont have a BK.

jamee

11. Concerned

Geez what a bum rap. I hope you are right about me not having the BK. Thanks for sharing.

12. Concerned

Was the BK listed as the specific reason or was a generic letter saying that due to your credit report, etc.?

13. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

I think the reason that a lot of employers require credit checks is the fact that someone that has a lot of unpaid collections, especially high dollar or tax liens, is more susceptable to take bribes and such. This is especially true for jobs that require security clearance.

14. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

I have a BK (it was one year old when I started with my current employer) and it had no effect on my employment, although it DID keep me from getting an AMX Corp card. Company offered to 'sign' to get me limited card, but I declined as I already had AMX card from pre-bk and use it instead.

I work in the Computer Security field....I had extensive background checks (and get them quarterly) as I have to do a lot of work with the government. They literally talked to some of my HS and College Professors, family members, etc. They knew all my credit and every speeding ticket I ever had. Crazy.....no privacy in the world anymore.

I wouldn't woory about it too much.

Insurance companies are VERY finicky. Also, while I understand giving the credit check, I think it is un-ethical to deny employment based on your credit, especially PAST credit. I would have looked into that more if I were you.

Shawn

15. texastrini

texastrini Well-Known Member

Re: Credit Check for a Job--Jamee25

Jamee25,

What company did such a inconsiderate thing?

Where you applying for a job as an insurance agent?

16. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

They run credit checks on me all the time - it's just part of being an agent. It's "due diiligence" on the part of the insurance company.

breeze

17. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Concerned:

FYI:..... I didnt have the tax lien on when I was commissioned. And my tax lien is paid and only appears on my TU report. I dont have IRS problems either???. My problem was defaulted student loans which were out of default and current at the time of application. I dont think you will have a problem either....but I felt a need to respond to your post.

18. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

It is AMAZING that a CREDIT REPORT can help you drive better...help you take care of your house better...and also help perform your job better...

19. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

roni
    And my tax lien is paid and only
    appears on my TU report.
    -------------------------------------------------
    And to add...the tax lien was only because they did NOT bill you in full...(their fault NOT yours).

20. roni

roni Well-Known Member

George,

The ironic thing is that most of my bad credit was from things that were not my fault. Tax lien- they never told me about the stupid surcharges, Student loans - totally unfair to me but finally corrected.

But I dont even bother mentioning the why's at this site anymore. Everyone is so quick to call you a liar here I dont mention the Why'S. I also think WHY you have bad credit is not important. We are all stuck in the same boat..(those of us with derogatories).

But when I read concerned post about tax liens, IRS problems etc...I was like "who you talking 'bout? ME?" LOL......