Credit Clean Up 101 Help!!!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by creditfree, May 13, 2001.

1. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

YOUR NAME
    YOUR ADDRESS
    CITY, STATE, ZIP

VIA CERTIFIED MAIL#

Date

XYZ Collection Agency
    A Debt Collection Agency
    Any street or P.O. Box
    Somewhere, USA 75221

RE: Account # _____________/Original Creditorâ??s Name/Amount
    Claimed Owed $00.

Dear Debt Collection Agency:

This will serve as your legal notice under federal law, â??The Fair
    Debt Collection Practices Act,â? to cease all communication with me
    in reference to the above account.
    If you fail to heed this notice, I will file a formal complaint
    against you with the Federal Trade Commission who is responsible
    for enforcement, the state Attorney Generalâ??s Office, and the
    American Collectorâ??s Association who monitors for noncompliance.
    I/We have decided that we do not desire to work with a collec-
    tion agency under any circumstances. I/We will contact the original
    creditor to resolve this matter directly.
    You are also notified that if any adverse items are placed
    against my/our credit reports as a result of this notice that I will be
    forced to take appropriate action against you, and the client that
    you represent.
    Give this matter the attention it deserves as the consequences
    could be severe.

Yours truly,

(Your Name)

2. creditfree

creditfree Well-Known Member

Thanks Roni!
    Thanks Erica!
    Thanks to Everyone for all the help you've given me.

I ran my reports this evening, so far Experian and Equifax don't look too bad, there are a few more items that I forgot about, and I'll have to wait for TransUnion via mail.

Also, any thoughts on the 'gym membership' with the martial arts studio that I'm involved in? The 2 reports I received noted that 'the account is in dispute under Fair Credit Billing Act', so at least there is notation in my credit report, but why is the collection company still hounding me? They call every week and send an 'invoice' once a month. Any ideas??

3. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Thanks Erica.

I printed the letter this time...

Creditfree,

They are hounding you b/c that is what a collection agency does.

having the notation that it is disputed doesnot help your credit. You must get it off.

4. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

I would definitely not pay those debts beecause they are near the 7 years as everyone has mentioned. I am also sure the SOL has passed, so they can't touch you. Send all of those CA's the C&D letter and if they continue to bother you, you can sue them. Make sure you send the C&D certified return receipt requested and keep track of the date. Any contact after that, you will have them and sue their a**. As for cleaning your credit, get ready to write to the CRA regarding the 7 year limit. You need to get hold of all 3 reports and see what you have going now. You should see if there are duplicates and delete those. Many of the collection agencies such as NCO and Cavalry, Creditrust, etc. re-age debts and do duplicate reporting which is illegal - so make sure you check your own reports. Post up questions as you have more and I'm sure people will help.. here's the c&d letter I would use:

March 4, 2001

(insert name and address of creditor)

Re: Acct # 0000 0000 0000 0000 (insert)

Greetings:

Thank you for receiving this notice. You have failed to answer my request to validate your claim of debt against me. Pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, I request that you cease further communications with me. Please complete and return the attached notice as required by law. If I do not receive your response within thirty (30) days, I will assume that your collection efforts are being terminated and that you have waived all claims against me.
    Best regards,
    (insert name)

(page 2)
    COLLECTORâ??S NOTICE (bold and large type)
    Insert name of collector/creditor

Re: Acct # (insert number)

To:
    (Insert your name and address)

This notice is given by the collector so as to comply with Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
    If a consumer notifies a debt collector in writing that the consumer refuses to pay a debt or that the consumer wishes the debt collector to cease further communication with the consumer, the debt collector shall not communicate further with the consumer with respect to such debt, except
    (1) to advise the consumer that the debt collector's further collection efforts are being terminated;
    (2) to notify the consumer that the debt collector or creditor may invoke specified remedies which are ordinarily invoked by such debt collector or creditor; or
    (3) where applicable, to notify the consumer that the debt collector or creditor intends to invoke a specified remedy.
    Please select one of the following by placing an â??Xâ? over the appropriate line.
    Æ?____As the debt collector in this matter, this final notice is to inform you that our collection efforts are being terminated.
    Æ?____As the debt collector in this matter, we may invoke a specified remedy, which is ordinarily invoked by us, to collect this alleged debt.
    Æ?____As the debt collector in this matter, we intend to invoke a specified remedy to collect this alleged debt.

______________________________ ________________
    signature of manager or agent date

This notice is not valid unless completed and signed by an employee or authorized representative of the collector, and timely returned to the consumer. The collector understands that its failure to comply with this federal law may result in civil penalties imposed by the Federal Trade Commission or the United States District Court.

5. chrisb

chrisb Well-Known Member

Ceace & Decist Letter

Your name
    Address
    City State, Zip

Date

Something Collection Agency
    A Debt Collection Agency
    Any street or P.O. Box
    Somewhere, USA 75221

RE: Account # _____________/Original Creditorâ??s Name/Amount Claimed Owed $00.

Dear Debt Collection Agency:

This will serve as your legal notice under federal law, The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, to cease all communication with me in reference to the above account.
    If you fail to heed this notice, I will file a formal complaint against you with the Federal Trade Commission who is responsible for enforcement, the state Attorney Generalâ??s Office, and the American Collectorâ??s Association who monitors for noncompliance.
    I have decided that we do not desire to work with a collection agency under any circumstances. I will contact the original creditor to resolve this matter directly.
    You are also notified that if any adverse items are placed against my/our credit reports as a result of this notice that I will be forced to take appropriate action against you, and the client that you represent.
    Give this matter the attention it deserves as the consequences could be severe.

Yours truly,

(Your Name)

6. zcraws33

zcraws33 Well-Known Member

Re: Ceace & Decist Letter

HERE'S ANOTHER ONE!! (ONE OF MY FAVORITES)

Sample Cease & Desist Letter-DO NOT SHOW STUFF IN YELLOW

Date:

Name Of Person at Collection Agency
    Collection Agency Name
    Address
    City, State, ZIP

RE: Account #

Dear Name of Agent or Agency,

You are here by notified that your services are no longer desired. This is in accordance with the laws of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

You and your company must Cease and Desist all attempts to collect the above debt. Failure to comply with this law will result in my filing a complaint with the Federal
    Trade Commission and my stateâ??s Attorney generalâ??s Office. I will be thorough and pursue all criminal and civil claims against you and your company.

Be warned, that if any negative information pertaining to this debt is added to my credit file after receipt of this letter, I will file suit against you and your company, both
    personally and corporately, to seek any and all legal remedies afforded me by law.

I am not going to ever deal with collection agencies, and my intention is only to settle this account with the original creditor.

Regards,

Signature

Name

7. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

It's time to call off the dogs!!!!!!!!

8. creditfree

Thanks for your help Ender,

Could you elaborate more on the re-aging of accounts? I have two Citibank accounts that have "last activity date 12/92 & 3/93", both were noted on my 1998 TRW report as charged-off but this Asset Acceptance Corp collection agency is still hounding me with 'settle for 50% of the balance' letters, and has been for several years. Is this a case of this company "re-aging" that account?

9. jzilla

jzilla Well-Known Member

What does it show up as on your Experian now? It shouldn't be there at all. The only reaseon they're hounding you now is because they can. Send that C&D letter and they have to stop.

10. creditfree

On both Experian and Equifax it isn't listed, but I have to wait for Trans Union to come in the mail.

11. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Attempting to pay them off will do you very little good. If you pay them anything at all, it will only start your whole mess all over again, and you will end up with bad credit for another 7 years.
    You need credit repair help and the best help you can get is to learn how to do it yourself.

You do need to use validation letter since that is the first of a whole train of events you need to know how to make happen in order to successfully repair your credit. The validation letter is nothing more than the correct way to get the ball rolling, but if you use it and don't know what to do after you send it and when to do what, you will get nowhere fast and probably end up with no real results at all.

If your debts are more than 7 years old since the last activity, you should be able to get them erased without credit repair tactics or validation letters.

I teach people how to repair credit the proper way, but it will be Friday or so before I can be reached by email as I am vacationing in Mexico at the present time and won't get back to my home in Oklahoma City until late Thursday nite.

12. creditfree

Bill,

Thanks anyway, but I've been getting a tremendous amount of help on the board from those that have shared experiences similar to mine. I'm waiting for TU to send my credit report, then I'll be addressing C&D letters to the ones that still continue to contact me...enjoy Mexico

13. creditfree

Ok,

So I'm looking over my Experian, I totally forgot about a phone bill I once had, its got a balance on there for $950 and change. This is alot of money and its from 1995, do I negotiate a settlement? Or do I pay this in full, then ask that they remove the blemish once its paid?

14. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

The phone company most likely has already written this off as a bad debt or P&L for them. If anything, if you do feel like paying, you must negotiate this BEFORE you make any payment. Otherwise, you have no bargaining position. If you send a validation letter to the phone company requiring them to prove to you that you even owe this debt, meaning provide the original contract and other information, they will most likely not be able to do so. Thus, because of the lack of validation of the debt, you can force the CRAs to remove those tradelines. Either way, you should begin dealing with the CRA's now, disputing what is on there as INNACCURATE or NOT MINE or just giving reasons so they will start an investigation. Chances are in your favor that because these debts are so old, that the creditors will not be able to respond and the CRA will delete these entries. This is of course, if the CRA's don't throw away or ignore or pretend to verify the debts.

Reaging means that the CA will take the debt and state them as if they are a recent debt so they will appear on your report for another 7 years from THEIR last activity date. This is not only re-aging, but also duplicating existing lines on your credit report. You should get these deleted.. first step is to get ahold of all of your reports and go from there. Anyone still hasseling you, send them a C&D if the SOL has past. If not, then send them a validation letter. At the same time, do disputes with the CRA and you should be in good shape. Because your debts are quite old, it shouldn't be too tough to clean your credit.. you should try and start building good credit now if you can as well at the same time.

15. roni

roni Well-Known Member

From 1995? That makes this 6 years old and it is not hurting your score that much anymore. You really only need to pay debts this old if you are trying to buy a house or something really soon. It will come off your report sometime in 2002. I doubt that the phone co. will negotiate. A sleazy collection agency probably has it now and are the ones reporting it. I would wait it out. You can get new credit with a chargeoff that old. You need to get some new accounts and let them age anyway. That account will drop off just as your credit it really growing.

16. river

river Well-Known Member

I agree with you roni on creditfrees' phone bill.It being that old really wouldn't affect his fico score.

17. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Since it's so old the phone company probably can't validate any way. My phone company says they only keep records for only a few yrs>

18. godaddyo

godaddyo Well-Known Member

Send a letter to validate the debt. After thirty days and five business days report them to the Utilities commision is your state for putting a bill in collection and ruining your credit without validating the debt. They will make sure they do what they are supposed to .l

19. creditfree

The bill is from a Michigan phone bill, I'm now in Florida, do you mean contact the Utilities Commission in Michigan??

Do you have a letter you suggest I use?

20. godaddyo

godaddyo Well-Known Member

Any validation letter will do because they will probably never be able to validate the debt.

If you want something simple use this:August 12, 1999

To Whom It May Concern:

I have received a letter claiming that I owe a debt to
    Since I feel this is in error, I request that you send me the following proofs as you are obligated to do in accordance with the Fair Debt Collections Act, Section 1692g.

1. The original application or contract

2. Any and all statements allegedly related to this debt

3. Any and all signed receipts

4. Any and all cancelled checks

Under the law you have 30 days to supply these proofs. Thank you for your time in this matter.

Sincerely,

Account Number:
    If you prefer a more serious one with a lot of great ideas in it use this:Your name address

date

Re inquiry dated 03/30/01: account no. 09-02065482

Greetings:

Thank you for your recent inquiry. This is not a refusal to pay, but a notice that your claim is disputed. This is a request for validation made pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Please complete the attached form and follow its instructions and your claim will be processed as soon as this information is received.

Please be advised that I am not requesting a "verification" that you have my mailing address, I am requesting a "validation;" that is, competent evidence that I have some contractual obligation to pay you.

You should also be aware that sending unsubstantiated demands for payment through the United States Mail System might constitute mail fraud under federal and state law. You may wish to consult with a competent legal advisor before your next communication with me.

Your failure to satisfy this request within the requirements of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act will be construed as your absolute waiver of any and all claims against me, and your tacit agreement to compensate me for costs and attorney fees.

Best regards,
    your name

CREDITOR DISCLOSURE STATEMENT

Name and Address of Collector (assignee):

____________________________________________________________________________
    Name and Address of Debtor:

Account Number(s):

What are the terms of assignment for this account? You may attach a facsimile of any records relating to such terms.

Have any insurance claims been made by any creditor or assignee regarding this account?

Yes / no
    Has the purported balanced of this account been used in any tax deduction claim?

Yes / no
    Please list the particular products or services sold by the collector to the debtor and the dollar amount of each:

Upon failure or refusal of collector to validate this collection action, collector agrees to waive all claims against the debtor named herein and pay debtor for all costs and attorney fees involved in defending this collection action.

X________________________________ _________________
    Authorized signature for Collector Date

Please return this completed form and attach all assignment or other transfer agreements that would establish your right to collect this debt. Your claim cannot be considered if any portion of this form is not completed and returned with the required documents. This is a request for validation made pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. If you do not respond as required by this law, your claim will not be considered and you may be liable for damages for continued collection efforts. Please allow thirty days for processing after receipt of your request