Credit Clean Up 101 Help!!!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by creditfree, May 13, 2001.

1. godaddyo

godaddyo Well-Known Member

After you send the validation letter and you dont get a response after the 30 day period plus 5 business days. Call the utility commision in Michigan and tell them that you have never had service in michigan and that you definately didnt recieve a bill. If you feel funny about saying that you never had service(because you did) tell them that you never received a bill in regards to this matter and that you have always had a forwarding address. Tell them that you want it pulled form 3rd party status and that ou want to see thte validation. If they cant validate then you want them to stop collection period. Good luck!!

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

PROBABLY ??????

3. creditfree

creditfree Well-Known Member

To Everyone,

All of your posts are so helpful and I thank all of you for participating...

I still have the 'gym membership' issue, I'm not sure how to handle this one. Its from 1998, when I signed up I didn't realize it immediately goes to a company to collect the payments. (The full story is a few posts back). The owner of the gym has told the collections company that it is a valid debt, I on the other hand have also been offered by the owner to pay him and he will 'see' what he can do about closing my account'. Since mentioned this, could I send the letter to the collection company stating that I will handle it with the original owner? What if I never pay the owner either? All in all its unfair practice how this whole deal was handled, I need some assistance on how to handle this one.

Thanks!!

4. Tuit

Tuit Well-Known Member

Hi Creditfree
    I was just wondering, were you never sued for any of the charge-off accounts in all that time? Do you own a home? or are you just judgement proof?
    Just curious.....because I too am "living with a Huge Black Cloud over my head".
    Thanks,
    tml

5. creditfree

Hi tml,

No...I've *knock wood* never been sued, just harrassed an awful lot.
    I don't own a home, mostly due to the 'black cloud', and never have. This debt has been looming around since '91, I was in my teens with no clue how to manage credit, what interest was, or any idea what it meant to pay 'the minimum' balance...yet handed all this plastic.
    I've managed to purchase vehicles on loans from my credit union (I love cu's) and live off of my debt/cash card.
    Now that 7 years are past, and I've done my time Roni et al here have given me such good advice and a much better outlook on what's ahead, of course after I accomplish the work necessary to finally be "creditfree".

Tell me more about your 'black cloud'. Do you see the light yet?

6. G. Fisher

G. Fisher Banned

What harrassment did you experience?

7. Tuit

Tuit Well-Known Member

Hi Creditfree
    Heavens No! My Black Cloud is in full Down Pour! I will leave it at that, since G. Fisher seems very interested in your posts...I for one find his/her posts very "FISHY" indeed. If he/she needs to ask "What Harrassement" you have experienced I don't think this person is here because of any credit problem. Oh Well.....
    Anyway It appears as though your Black Cloud is about to clear up to "Sunshine" I am very happy for you......Yes you have received alot of help from some very good people, best of all I bet it has helped your frame of mind alot right!!!!! Keep plugging sounds like your almost there. You are young and have learned alot from this experience, keep reading these types of boards continue to learn and you will never find yourself in this position again! I am sure your experiences have given you much character, lessons learned in the "School of hard Knocks". My very best to you as you get your life back in order, no matter what G.Fisher thinks, it has not been easy for you! You are a survivor!
    Hoping to Survive Too!
    tml

8. creditfree

Thanks tml,

Thanks for the Fishy insight. "School of Hard Knocks", you aren't kidding! Indeed it has taught me more than I ever could have learned in Finance 101. It's been a struggle to get from under the black gloom, but we all get there...I survived and you will too. Much luck to you on your endeavours heading towards the sunshine.

9. creditfree

10. G. Fisher

G. Fisher Banned

Could making fun of a person's family name be considered harrassment? And, should the capacity of the person making such a comment be taken into consideration? Or, is its petty acrimony equal no matter which end of the spectrum it comes from?

The amount you have surmised based on a simple five-word question is curious and amusing to me. But, please, continue.

The term "character" has been used for decades to describe a person's propensity to pay. It is one of the "Three Cs" or "Five Cs" depending on who you're talking to.

http://www.dbf.state.fl.us/alert2.html
    http://www.cccsn.org/report_2.htm

"Harrassment" with regard to this issue, is mentioned in the law-- in its own section titled "Harassment or abuse."

http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fdcpa/fdcpact.htm#806

Given that definition, has harrassment occured? Specifically, what happened? Was there a violation of the law?

Could the person who is the subject of this conversation afford to pay $25 per month over the last two years? If so, did they? Perhaps, a lender would ask that question to determine their character.

11. godaddyo

No offense G Fisher, but your posts are rather amiguous and out of context. This would lead most who post here to think something is "Fishy" about you. I have checked out your sites posted under your name and they are very informative. Just exactly how are you affiliated with these sights. Please dont take offense to this, I am just inquiring on your expertise that is all.

12. godaddyo

woops left out the B in ambiguous, oh well i dont think I spelled it correctly anyways. lol

13. G. Fisher

G. Fisher Banned

First things first.

Please point out the ambiguity.

14. creditfree

Sorry to keep bringing this one up but I found a statement from the CA today, it states:

"This an attempt to collect a debt. Any information obtained will be used for that purpose.
    If you dispute the validity of this debt of any part of this debt, you must notify AAC in writing within 30 days of receipt of this notice, or we will assume that the debt is valid.
    If you notify us in writing of such dispute within 30 days of receipt of this notice we will obtain verification of the debt and mail you a copy of such verification.
    Also, upon written request within the 30 day period, we will provide you with the address of the original creditor".

With receiving that on my invoice, isn't this basically verifying that if I sent them a validation letter they would and will comply? Then what do I have left to do? I've never seen this noted on any other of my 'invoices'.

I notified them, I even emailed the President of the company, the item is listed as 'disputed' on my credit reports, but what to do now??

Suggestions?? Anyone??

15. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

That's ok, you also referred to web sites as web sights. :)

<Ducking and running...>

16. godaddyo

Hey Dave, I represent that statement!!lol or is it resent? Im so confused...

17. godaddyo

Dont take it personally Mr Fisher, it is your line of question that brings out some mystery. One might wonder from your line of questioning what infomation you are trying to obtain or what you are implying, that all nothing more, just your usual webster dictionary definition of ambiguity thats all nothing less (did I spell it right?:)

18. G. Fisher

G. Fisher Banned

There is a spell checker at the bottom of the posting dialog box, Mr. godaddyo. I'm sorry, but I don't have time.

There isn't any ambiguity (aside from yours, by your not answering the question). That's why I asked for specifics. Ironic, eh? The name of the message board is Straight Talk, isn't it?

Let's move on; perhaps you'll do better this time: What (if anything) did I state that was out of this context? Give an answer, and you might get an explanation for my statement and be enlightened. Evade again, and you will never know what I know.

I've found the anonymity of the Internet makes people act strangely.

19. creditfree

Honestly, is all this bantering and bickering nonsense necessary??

You realize I started this subject with a purpose...my purpose, please allow me to get the answers I seek for I fear that all this is going to deter other members from reading this subject line and post to any more of my questions, enough said?

Thanks for your understanding.

20. G. Fisher

G. Fisher Banned

If you don't want me to defend my father's name, then don't treat it with disrespect ("Thanks for the Fishy insight. "School of Hard Knocks", you aren't kidding!").

Before your personal attack, I asked what harrassment you experienced. I'm interested in that topic because I experienced harrassment by a collector and received an agreement from them to pay me $1,000 after I pointed out the illegality of their action. It sounds like you could use $1,000. But, since you didn't answer, I assume that collectors really didn't harrass you-- probably the case in 99% of the alleged instances of harrassment.

You have a mess on your hands that you don't understand, and only want answers to your questions. Has it not occured to you that you might be asking the wrong ones? Credit reports are intricate documents, and using them for underwriting is even more so.

You have needlessly and ignorantly suffered though a "black cloud," a "mess," credit that "still stinks," credit that makes you "nervous" and that you think is "horrible." You were "tricked" into a "bad deal," have "fear" that has kept you "from doing anything," are running from "credit hounds," are looking for the "light at the end of the tunnel," experience "unfair practice," and used the phrase usually reserved for penal cases: "done my time."

Are you trying to change your name from creditfree become credit-laden? Is this about buying a house? What is your ultimate goal?

To anybody else in this person's situation: The sad truth is that they have wasted a lot of time and put themselves though needless agony. They were a candidate for bankruptcy a few years ago, but, for some reason, decided against it. Had they been declared bankrupt they would have been much better off for years.

creditfree, try not to read too much into sentences with "?" at the end. They're just questions.