credit help

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Cristina V, Nov 7, 2000.

1. Cristina V

Cristina V Guest

I am Filipino and have been living in this country for only 1 year and 10 months. I obviously don't have have much history yet. I am 26 years old. I have been applying for credit cards for department stores, Gap, Banana Republic, etc. and always been denied. Like for example, the one of the Gap. This are the factors:
    1. Age of oldest account
    2. bank revolving obligations in relations to bank revolving lines
    3. average age of accounts

I do not understand any of these. Can you please explain it to me a bit? Also, I have debt with 2 credit cards but I pay more than the minimum every month. Much more but it hasn't gone down yet coz I use it too. It's a total of $5,000 and I pay about $300 for both credit cards a month. So where could I go wrong? I have been applying for a lot of credit cards and am always denied?

2. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

1. Age of oldest account
    2. bank revolving obligations in relations to bank revolving lines
    3. average age of accounts

Hi, well number 1: indicates the age of your oldest account, you said you have 2 cards, obviously you first account has not aged enough yet.

Number 2: Indicates how much you have in credit and your balances, from what I read I would assume your credit lines are at/near your the max.

Number 3: is similiar to number 1, I assume both cards are relatively new in age.

Building credit takes time, try to get your balances down some, always pay on time and wait til your accounts reach atleast 2 years. Stop applying because this gives you inquiries which can lower your credit score. It takes time:)

Hope this helps and if anyone can add?