Credit in Canada

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Canadian, May 3, 2000.

1. Canadian

Canadian Guest

I was wondering if anyone knew how I could obtain a credit card in Canada with a bad credit rating. I am Canadian and wanting a second chance..can anyone help me?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

Lise

2. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

RE: Credit in Canada with dama

In case you were not aware, and to spare you the futilely of searching through the web for sub-prime cards for Canadians.

To put it simply, their ain't no such animal !

As you must realise the current banking situation is somewhat of an oligopoly. Limited banks means much more conservative mentality with limited options. Besides which most of the sub-prime practises, hell many of the so-called "prime" cards here in the US have practises that are outlawed in Canada.

With this conservative, limited choice situation in mind quite frankly your options are few. The Canadian Tire Options Mastercard is probably the easiest card to obtain but its quite doubtful if they will grant you one if you have recent bad credit.

As for secured cards well you can start with this very site http://atticus.creditnet.com/cgi-bin/ccbrowser.pl?submit=secured
    I see a couple of Canadian banks and a trust mentioned. Now from previous messages I had the impression that you would need to provide $125 for every $100 of credit and that the deposit would have to be substantial ($3000-$5000 ??) this may not be correct or things may have changed call the numbers provided and see for yourself.

Also, this site is associated with a card called AEA International as long as your not from Quebec you can receive all the information and apply for it right here at the home page credinet.com.