Credit Inquiries - New vs old

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Dani, Feb 23, 2001.

1. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Probably a silly question, but is there a difference between a credit inquiry for let's say, a new credit card and a credit inquiry for an already established credit card? If I was to call my credit card company and ask for a credit line increase and they pulled my report will this be considered an inquiry on my report? Also, how does this differ from credit card companies checking your credit sporadically although you are already a customer with them?
    Thanks.

Dani

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

RE: Credit Inquiries - New vs

ESTABLISHED CUSTOMERS a lot of times get "soft" inquirys...

3. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

George, thanks for your reply, but what are soft inquiries? When it comes to inquiries and FICO scores I know nada.

Dani

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

"Soft" means that it won't show to any other creditor.

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

6. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Good. I am going to call Discover right now and ask them to up my credit line. Thanks George.

Dani

7. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

SORRY, didn't read anything about DISCOVERCARD...they will pull "HARD"...

:(

8. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

I know I just called them. I told them if it was a hard inquiry to cancel the increase request. I want to apply for a mortgage in a couple of months and want no inquiries showing. I spoke to their Customer Service Department and asked them if they did automatic line increases after showing so many months as a customer. She said they do every 6 months to a year. Since I have been with them for six months I hoping its any day now.
    What is so funny is I had Discover as a freshmen in college (no credit established and a $1200 limit). Five years later, great credit and still a $1200 limit. It's so sad I just have to laugh.

Dani

9. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I've had the card 5+ years NO INCREASE EVER...EXCEPT THE ONE I REQUESTED...

Purchases are paid in full every month.
    Never late.
    Purchases as high as $80,000+/year ($30,000 average).

They said if I did a balance transfer @9.90%, they probably could give me a $10,000 increase, BUT THEN ALL PURCHASES WOULD ACCRUE INTEREST AT 18.49%...

:(