credit inquiry???????HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by nelsonfan, Apr 27, 2001.

1. nelsonfan

nelsonfan Well-Known Member

What exactly is a credit inquiry? I want to know, if you call your credit card company and ask for a lower interest rate, they say 'just a minute, let me check your account'. Does anyone know what they are looking at? They are not looking at your credit report, are they? I'm guessing 'no', and this is not the meaning of an inquiry. Today, I called Shell chase and was asking about my 8.0% fixed interest rate (I know, I can't believe I got it either. I had to ask the girl 4 times if it was fixed and for the life of the loan. She said 'YES'.) and asked the girl if she could see my FICO score. She said 'NO'. She didn't have that info. Then I asked if my account told when I opened it. She said she wasn't allowed to give out that info. It's right on the card!!!!(I cut mine up and only use it for transfers) What's the big deal? Why couldn't she tell me?

2. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

when some one pulls your report``it has nothing to do with your asking about an account!
    lb

3. judyputy

judyputy Well-Known Member

Whenever I have called and asked for something in particular like a credit increase or rate decrease and they say that they need to "check your account" it usually means they are pulling up your file and lookign at your balance, your limit, and you payments over the last year or so. I have had them come back and tell me about payments i recently made.

I think they look at their reports when they do this...not the CRA reports.

judy

4. nelsonfan

nelsonfan Well-Known Member

Thank you lbrown59 and judyputy. That's what I wanted to know.

5. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

You're Welcome 59