Credit Investigation

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Thomas, Feb 11, 2001.

1. Thomas

Thomas Guest

Does anyone know what employers look for with their potential employees as to credit and criminal checks?
    Has anyone been refused employement due this?

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Many people have been refused jobs for poor credit reports, even though a bad credit report has NOTHING to do with ones work quality or honesty...JUST LIKE CREDIT REPORTS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH DRIVING HABITS!!!

3. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

A friend was turned down

for her application to be an insurance agent because of bad credit 10 years ago here in CA.

4. keltex

keltex Guest

I have a lot of late pays and a collection on my equifax-and my employer pulled it-and hired me anyway. I work for a leading PC manufacturer.

The HR rep told me that they look mainly for criminal records, judgements, etc.

5. mt

mt Guest

I know several people in HR and most have told me that (at least at his company) they only pull reports/background checks for positions that have a salary range of xxx - xxx (I cannot remember the range, but I think it started in the 70's) as well as positions that have a lot of corporate and public visibility.

6. mary

mary Guest

I was turned down for a job as a paralegal for a mid sized firm due to poor credit, (most of which wasnt mine,and Im fighting now.)

I asked specifically why I got turned down, and was told that bad credit (specifically, a judgement on a defaulted loan) caused the hiring partners to doubt my honesty and ability to handle big projects, deadlines, responsibility, etc. That hurt, especially since they had all but promised me the job and I had gone on 3 interviews with that firm.. It can and does happen, and the salary was about $35K. Also,t eh job had nothing to do with money management, but rather environmental issues.