Credit newbie...please help

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by College St, Jul 19, 2000.

1. College St

College St Guest

Hi. I am 21 and a college student. On a recent trip to the bank, they told me that I should apply for a credit card and start building my credit NOW. Because I rarely need to use a credit card, is it still possible for me to build my credit without using the card that much?

2. Sorin

Sorin Well-Known Member

RE: Credit newbie...please hel

They're right, you should start building credit...

Get a card, use it constantly, even if you
    don't charge a lot on it... Use it for some
    of your expenses and pay it off each month.
    Basically it's the same thing as using cash
    but it will build your credit at the same
    time
    Just take care and don't get into troubles,
    LOTS of students don't know what to do with
    credit and hurt themselves

3. F Mata

F Mata Guest

Yes it is and in this day and age, good credit is a must. I would take accept the card and use it on small "neccessities" not conveinces. Then make sure that you pay the balance ON TIME. Before you do, read all the literature carfully. Most companies offer a real attractive low interest rate which is only valid for a short period of time, after it wears off you'll be slapped with a high APR.

Again, good credit is a must. All you have to do is scroll down and see the difficulty others are having because lack of, or because of poor credit.

Good luck

4. michael

michael Guest

I do disagree with Sorin. Having the card is building good credit. By all means pay it off in a timely manner, but if you don't want to use it often then don't.

Even occasional use will build your credit bureau. Credit report report the following:
    Credit Limit, highest amount owed, and payment history, they DO NOT report how often you use a card!