Credit Repair Companies

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dlo64, May 1, 2001.

1. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

I have been reading as many of the posts on this board as I can. I am considering taking the plunge and using Lexington for disputing items on my credit report.

While I am not expecting miracles, my credit report is loaded with inaccuracies. I am afraid to do all the disputing on my own. I guess I have been paranoid with all the horror stories of disputes being considered frivolous, your report being "flagged" or alerts being placed by CRA's, etc. What I truly would like and this is probably wishful thinking, is to get the inaccuracies off my report. For example, for medical reasons I ended up filing a Chapter 7 BK. Now I have three creditors listing it as a Chapter 13 and one even listing it as a Chapter 11 (I did not know I personally was a business). Auto leases from the lease company I used to deal with an were closed out several years ago as still being open. These are not frivolous, I just want them corrected. It seems we are all at the mercy of the credit bureaus.

Do these companies really help? Is it just the CRA's invoking fear by all the flagging stories I hear? I really don't need to make my bureau any worse than it already is. I need opinions please. Thanks.

Deb

2. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Deb,
    Hi! I can't vouch for Lex but I can vouch for Junum..at least my own experience. I have experienced doing the disputing myself and then Junum's work and, well, its pretty well known around here that I'm totally sold on Junum. I really wish you luck with your situation whichever route you take!

3. CardKid

CardKid Well-Known Member

Check out all of the letters at the Lexington Law Firm site at www.creditrights.com.

CardKid
    Extremely Satisfied
    Lex Law Client

4. Laray

Laray Well-Known Member

I signed up with Lexington in March, for some reason they are having trouble billing me for their services and its starting to upset me. Payment was due to come out of my account 4/1, but they said it was returned unpaid, i called them and they had switched my routing number and account number! so then we were due for a another draft on 4/13, did that happen? No! I called and asked them to read my numbers to me and they were still switched! They didnt want me to send a check i guess its supposed to be easier to do this automatic thing....so again, payment was due to be made with the correct information for 4/23. I even emailed them a copy of a cancelled check hoping they would get their information right....and that money is still sitting in my account. You guys are probably thinking more money for me, but I dont want this to prevent them from helping me repair my credit. I got three email mid april saying my dispute letters were sent and a letter from Transunion i think saying i should have my updated information no later than 6/3 and of course they asked if i was using a credit repair agency and to let them know if i am becuase they claim they are ripping off consumers.....oh well thats my story, i will let everyone know what happens when i get the fresh reports back!

5. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

I've had good luck doing it myself. 3 rounds of disputes (2 tradelines at a time) to each CRA. So far only 2 tradelines have been verified. What's killing me is that 1 tradeline gets deleted from equifax and verifed on TU. I haven't tried either Lex or Junum, but most of the posts I've read around here speak highly of both.
    pat

6. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

7. jason

jason Well-Known Member

Hmm. I'll let them know about your post.

They won't typically stop work unless you're unreachable for more than three payments (don't be unreachable. Call them at 800-341-8441.)

Goood luck.

8. cole

cole Active Member

Isn't that sweet of them to be so concerned you might get ripped off?

The CRA's spend a ton of money every year trying to convince us that credit repair can't be done. They love to gloat when another credit repair company gets shut down.

If I understand the law, a credit repair company cannot collect any money from the consumer until after the work has been performed!!! All of their clients have credit problems but by law the credit repair companies must extend credit for each client. It's a wonder any of them stay in business.

9. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the advice.

So as long as nothing is admitted about using a repair company to the CRA, then I am fine? I would not mind doing the work myself, but don't have the stomach for the irritation of fighting these bureaus. It just truly amazes me how items reported can get so screwed up and then you are fighting a legitimate dispute and you become at the mercy of some CRA making a determination of whether it is frivolous or not. In today's world it is impossible to live without credit because you need it to buy a house or a car, etc. However, sometimes, I really wish didn't have to have credit. Then again, the CRA's would still probably have something reported incorrectly!

As for the response to look at the letters on Lex's site, I already have done that. It is those letters that are making me lean toward Lex. As well as the fact they are a law firm.

I guess I have just gotten caught up in the CRA propaganda about credit repair. If I am going to pay someone to do this, I just want to make sure they are reputable. So far it sounds as though both Lex and Junum are reputable.

Deb

10. CardKid

CardKid Well-Known Member

I've had great success with Lexington Law Firm.

When I disputed information on my own, the CRAs would report the items as "verified." However, I called one creditor and was informed that a particular account was still being investigated. The @#$% CRAs reported before the creditor did.

I heard about Lex Law through a friend who had good results with them and enrolled using a credit card ($35 per month). In less than 1 year, I've gone from a $200 secured card to over $11,800 in available credit.

Check out www.creditrights.com and read the letters. They're doing really admirable work.

CardKid

11. c5kirk

c5kirk Well-Known Member

Having been a Lexington client for appx. 7 months now I can say that I have been very happy with the results. I am a JR and had lots of erroneous info. on my report. Listed below is a synopsis that I received from them just a week ago (unsolicited). As you can see they have gotten quite a few derogatory items deleted (33 total). In fact I just pulled up my Experian report 2 days ago and one of the items listed as "In Progress" below is gone now. They have always been responsive to my emails and have gotten much more so in the past month or two. Overall I would say that I'm very happy with the results they've gotten for me. I probably could have gotten the same results myself but I can't imagine the amount of time and money I would have spent disputing, re-disputing, and re-re-disputing items. For me, their fee has been money well spent.

Experian:

american agencies ------------ Deleted
    berlin wheeler inc ------------ Deleted
    capital one bank ------------ In Progress
    first consumers natl ------------ In Progress
    first premier creditc ------------ In Progress
    hrsusa ------------ Deleted
    ks counselors inc ------------ Deleted
    mare bear inc ------------ Deleted
    norwest fin ------------ In Progress
    usa funds ------------ Deleted
    wfnnb/service merch ------------ Deleted

Trans Union:

american agencies ------------ Deleted
    berlin wheeler inc ------------ Deleted
    commonwealth ------------ Deleted
    creditrust ------------ Deleted
    first consumers natl ------------ In Progress
    frankling mint ------------ Deleted
    frd motor cr ------------ Deleted
    gecs/sony ------------ Deleted
    jcp-mccbg ------------ Deleted
    jcp-mccbg ------------ Deleted
    kohls dep st ------------ Deleted
    ks counselors inc ------------ In Progress
    merchant rtl ------------ Deleted
    norwest fin ------------ Deleted
    tac ------------ Deleted
    usa funds ------------ In Progress
    usa gp lnsvs ------------ In Progress
    wexler & wex ------------ Deleted

Equifax:

unk ------------ Deleted
    allied interstate inc ------------ Deleted
    gecs/sony ------------ Deleted
    ks counselors inc ------------ In Progress
    norwest fin ------------ Deleted
    usa funds ------------ Deleted
    judgement ------------ In Progress
    wells fargo fin ------------ In Progress

12. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

WOW 32 deletions in 7 months ...about 5 a month...and all the rest in progress.

THATS GREAT!! Thanks for posting your results. Congratulations! -Dave

13. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

Yes, thanks for posting those results! Also for giving that unsolicited testamonial.

I don't think I could get that many deletions on my own. Congratulations and I hope Lex keeps up the good work for you!