credit score confused

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by vaman, Jun 4, 2001.

1. vaman

vaman Member

have been working on my credit for a while checked my score equifax is 528 and experian is 743 I cant figure it out the both have almost the same info on the reports but such a big difference can someone tell me what could be the reason

2. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Wow that's a huge gap, my scores vary a little but not by a far margin. I know where you got EQ of course, but may I ask how you got your Experian score??

3. Surphie

Surphie Well-Known Member

The reports will have different information because it's a voluntary system, and creditors subscribe to whichever agency they want, if any at all.

4. vaman

vaman Member

I pulled at work at a car dealership

5. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

You said both had ALMOST the same information, what exactly was different?? there must be either something possibly negative on EQ or some items not listed on EQ, that score range seems very off??

6. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I think it's all a farce anyway. Scores, I mean. They ought to be illegal.

breeze

7. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I HAVE 23 YEARS OF PERFECT PAYMENT HISTORY...

NO BK
    NO LATES
    NO OVER LIMIT
    NO COLLECTIONS
    OLDEST CARD 1978

But, because of a F.I.C.O. score, I am a bad risk now...
    I GET DENIED EVEN SO~CALLED "PRE-APPROVED" CARDS.

SINCE MY F.I.C.O. DROPPED 5 POINTS, I GUESS MY INSURANCE RATES WILL GO UP SINCE I HAVE BECOME A WORSE DRIVER ALSO...

8. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

I have read quite a few of your posts GEORGE, sounds like your low score is dumping cards and applying for new credit. Remember also closing accounts will affect your credit being used against your total credit available.

9. vaman

vaman Member

actually the experian report has more collection accounts on it than equifax that is why i cant figure it out

10. G. Fisher

G. Fisher Banned

How did you obtain the Experian score?

11. VJ

VJ Well-Known Member

Vaman,
    The low equifax fico and how you got it is understandable.
    My best guess is your looking at a experian report and score but not a fico score.Many mortgage brokers use fico because it is biased towards the probability of a mortgage being repaid.
    Many cc companies are using the secondary credit scores which are good predictors of cc being repaid and profitable.
    Many car dealerships use programs/scores which try to predict a car loan being repaid.The big difference with these car loan scores is a high score means just the opposite of a fico score.
    Higher is worse.800 is real bad. 400 is great.
    Many of the b/k prediction scores work in this same fashion.

You mention experian has more collection accts listed than equifax.I mean no disrespect, but the chances of you having a experian fico around 743 with 2 or 3 chargeoffs and 2 or 3 collection accts is for all intent and purpose, not possible in this lifetime.A 743 car loan score would equate or be slightly worse than a 528 equifax fico score, which seems to make a lot of sense in your case.
    Or I could be wrong and you could be completely right.
    Best of luck either way and I hope this helps.

VJ