Credit score & number of cards

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by PsychDoc, Nov 20, 2001.

1. keepmine

keepmine Well-Known Member

Terri,

There is nothing you can do about the age of your accounts. If they are that young, I don't think running a balance will help or hurt. What will help is showing a positive trade line. Pay 'em off and use them to charge things that can be paid off a the end of the month. You will display a pattern of activity and at the same time, show a capacity to repay on time and as agreed. Over time, that wil generate credit limit increaeses and special offers.

2. cherie

cherie Well-Known Member

Dear Keeper.. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Someone had sort of guilded me w/ the rules you have posted. We are working to get there. Our TOTAL debt is 33%, of the CL's w/ in uses of 64%/57%/52% and 11%. It was recently that I remembered doing an OPT OUT about 6 years ago. I called equifax and had this removed.. so I am waiting for those offers to come now.

3. OtherTerri

OtherTerri Well-Known Member

Thanks, Keepmine. I am working on it, but don't have much time for aging. Need the best score I can muster soon to buy a house.

4. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

You can always charge something if your score doesn't improve enough. ;)

5. OtherTerri

OtherTerri Well-Known Member

Good point Breeeze!

6. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Doc... simple... I'm missing the sourcing for your scoring information you posted. It could come from anywhere. That's hogwash about closing accounts! Every FICO report will always find 4 reasons that you score would be higher even if it was 875. Do you think Donald Trump closes accounts that he doesn't use? NOPE! Do you think he has too many accounts? NOPE! Seems like the biggest impact to scores are chargeoff/collections/late pays. If your file is clear of those, it THE RATIOS that matter the most. You don't close accounts you're not using because it will lower your available credit ratios and hurt your scores. Pretty simple.... You need to keep things open and clean as long as possible, always ask for credit limit increases even if you don't need them and have a mix of credit/charge/loans/mortgages to get the best scores.

7. G. Fisher

G. Fisher Banned

Please describe how you obtained the information you copied and pasted, Doc.

8. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

Greg: it was from Worthknowing.com under the "My Recommendations" tab after my report was generated. Question for you, Greg -- is "too many revolving lines" one of the reasons sometimes given for lower scores? I would think that 4 unused $10,000 lines of credit would do more for a score than 20 unused $500 lines of credit. (I'm intending "unused" to mean "very low balances" in this context to maintain good ratios with everything else being held equal.)

Doc

9. G. Fisher

G. Fisher Banned

Doc, the number of credit cards one of two issues I chose to use for the background of creditscoring.com (the other was disclosure of the score to consumers)(see "Letters"). I came to no conclusion, and I'm curious as to Wothknowing's source of their advice regarding having less than 5 cards.

Some FICO reasons from http://www.facredco.com/HTML files/...res/FICO_Credit_Score/FICO_credit_scor_2.html :

Number of revolving accounts
    Number of bank revolving or other revolving accounts
    Too few bank revolving accounts
    Too many bank or national revolving accounts
    Number of bank or national revolving accts with balances
    No recent bankcard balances

Of course, there are any number of iterations of ratios of number of cards to aggregate limit; I know of know definitive answer as to the optimum.

It may have something to do with a dart board.

10. bbauer

bbauer Banned

LOL. That's cute. The scores that come up sure would make one wonder about that now don't they?

11. myschae

myschae Well-Known Member

Excellent information G. Fisher. Does anyone know what these are all about?

Lack of recent installment loan information
    Lack of recent auto loan information
    Lack of recent auto finance loan information
    Lack of recent consumer finance company account information

I just picked them from the list, but it sounds like you get dinged if you don't have an installment/auto loan - or perhaps if your loan doesn't report regularly? Anyone actually seen one of these on a report?

Myschae

12. PsychDoc

I think that's my problem, LOL. :) Thanks for the great info.

As for dart board, I'm coming to that conclusion as well.

I like a point breeze made (either in this thread or somewhere else but I'm too lazy to stop typing right now to check, lol): Breeze said something about how it's probably not even desirable to have an extremely high score at some point (825+?? -- my number not hers) because that just signifies that you're their kind of profitable customer. I'm developing my own translation chart:

----------------------------
    Score . . . What It Means
    425 . . . deadbeat :)
    525 . . . trouble
    625 . . . on the mend
    725 . . . WAY TO GO!
    825 . . . sucker

LOL.

Doc

13. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Score . . . What It Means
    425 . . . deadbeat :)
    525 . . . trouble
    625 . . . on the mend
    725 . . . WAY TO GO!
    825 . . . sucker <-----------------------------?????????
    So I should shoot for 824???? no higher???

14. PsychDoc

LOL, George, read the paragraph before the chart for some context (especially the paraphrase of breeze's point, with emphasis on the word "profitable"). :) At a certain point, you'd practically have to be a "Stepford" Credit Risk in order to score so high -- you'd need to maintain balances just so, and owe just so much on just so many loans, etc., in short you'd need to be THEIR IDEAL CUSTOMER, lol. (I'm not so sure that what makes me ideal for the creditors is what would make me ideal for long-term personal profit and savings. At some point above 775 or 800 or so, the incremental benefits to you would be probably nonexistant anyway -- A+ credit is A+ credit.)

Doc

15. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

You read all types of scenerios of how many is too many and how many is not enough etc. But it all boils down to debt ratios and having no delinquencies, these 2 items account for 65% of your score. I have seen some have 15+ cards, low ratios, no negs and stay in the 700 club, there are also others that have 5 cards, no negs and they too are in the 700 club.

I helped my friend establish credit, she started in 99, she has 12+ cards very low balances, and no negs, her score is 750.

Ratios and a clean report are the key to high scores.

16. Saar

Saar Banned

An excessive # of tradelines can & will KILL any credit (re)builder's score.

However, it does not seem to have a very negative effect on people whose credit report is otherwise great.

Doc - Helpful list. I'm interested to know if you have anything to support item #2. Some of the feedback here even suggests the contrary.

Saar

17. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

18. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

This is supposed to be a "scorecard" for FICO. If you look at number of revolving tradelines listed, ideal is 1-2; if you have six or more you lose points. See, you limit your options, your score goes up. Provide yourself with more options, your score goes down.
    Same with inquiries - shop for a better deal - wham! down you go!!

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/creditscoring/present/sld008.htm

19. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Breeze:
    Seems to me that would make a lot of sense --- to an orangutan.

20. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

1 inquiry is better than 0...
    A brand new job is better than 2 years...
    30 & 60 days late is better than current...