Credit scores

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Renae, Jul 31, 2000.

1. Renae

Renae Guest

I've noticed that a lot of posters here know their credit scores. Where do you get that information? Does it appear somewhere on the credit report? How can I find out my score?

2. Patm

Patm Guest

They will start giving out credit scores in about 6 months. Credit scores have long been "secret", given to lenders but NOT to consumers. When I got turned down for a car loan @ 10%, I asked the loan officer my credit score by telephone & she told me. Mortgage brokers do this all the time, too.

3. Renae

Renae Guest

Thanks for the info!

4. DAVID W

DAVID W Guest

I provide all our loan applicants a copy of their credit report, your lender should do the same. The report I order is a 3 merged and lists the credit score from each CRA.

Dave
    DWacaser@LandMarkmtg.com

5. Patm

Patm Guest

This violates the lender's contract weith the CRAs. It is nice of you to do, and not illegal, but when an online lender did the same thing, the CRAs threatened to stop doing business with them, and the online lender stopped.

The California legislature then started a bill requiring disclosure of credit scores. The standard current practice is to tell someone denied credit to write the CRAs for a copy of their report with NO SCORE, which is why the CA law is coming about,

6. DAVID W

DAVID W Guest

I think the online lender was doing something a little different. Weren't they providing the scores just for registering on their site as a way to generate traffic? I guess that technically violated their agreement.

I still agree with you that shouldn't be illegal.

DAVID W
    DWacaser@LandMarkmtg.com