Credit Union

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by muf_fin@3, Sep 29, 2003.

1. muf_fin@3

muf_fin@3 Well-Known Member

Have anyone ever tried to get a credit card or loan after Bankruptcy? Could you give me some pointers on how and what to do? I'm trying to rebuild my credit after BK. I already had the sub prime cards so I couldn't apply again. Thanks

2. muf_fin@3

< BUMP >
    I really need answers

Thanks

3. vectorz

vectorz Well-Known Member

It's been about two years after my CH7 BK, and I'm now able to get a car loan easily with my 650 FICO. Basically all I did was immediately get myself a Capital One card to establish credit, and the MOST important thing I did was sign up for Lexington Law Firm's service. My credit report used to be about 40+ pages of all negative stuff and inquiries, but now I have less than 1 page of negative accounts and 0 inquiries. I'm not affiliated w/ their service in anyway.. I'm just a very satisfied customer.

4. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

A lot of what Lexington Law does you can do yourself.

Why not go to your credit union and sit down and talk to someone. They're usually good about telling you if they can help you or not.

There was someone who posted here a while back that had gotten cards at several credit unions post bankruptcy. That's what he did--went in and talked to them. If you have a current copy of your credit report, take it along.

5. muf_fin@3

Did I do the right thing by applying for a secured credit card with the credit union, Its been about 3 months since I received my discharge paper. I'm just trying to re-establish my credit. My Experian report reflect a score of 613. I don't know if credit unions are BK friendly or not. I can't apply for Cap One because I included them in my BK as well as Prov, Orchard.

6. muf_fin@3

< bump >

7. DanS

DanS Well-Known Member

Not always the way you think it will work. Cap1 WAS in my BK, they sent me an offer a year after filing and I've had the card w/CL raised and fees waived for a year.

Providian was NOT included, owed them zero, but they cancelled me. Recently had an instant rejection w/no inquiry, so I assume I'm blacklisted w/them.

8. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

It depends on the credit union. Many of them are willing to work with you, even if you've had a BK. And sometimes it depends on the circumstances. If you had a reason for filing, like medical problems or losing a job, many are more willing to consider you than if you just ran up bills and decided not to pay.

I think getting a secured card with them is fine. Even if it reports as secured, that only seems to matter on manual reviews.

Keep your payments up and in a year or so go in and ask them to unsecure it.

Good start!

9. NiceGuy

NiceGuy Well-Known Member

Yep, it totally varies from one credit union to another. My CU approved me for their best card, a Visa Platinum at 9.9 fixed with a $5K limit with the BK on there and several IIB accounts as well.

It just depends on what their policy is, but I would strongly suggest going in face-to-face since it is harder for them to turn you down that way!

-NiceGuy

10. lakpr

lakpr Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Credit Union

My wife started out with a secured card from our credit union, but even after 2 years they refuse to convert it to an unsecured visa. She incurred a hard inquiry to open the secured visa in the first place, and they won't convert. She would have to close the account, and reapply for an unsecured visa :(

If she closes her secured card, she would lose her oldest tradeline from her report, plus there is no guarantee that she would be approved for an unsecured visa at this time (her scores are only around 650 the last time we checked), so we're riding it out for another year before we take the plunge.

Maddening thing about credit unions is that they would not increase credit limit ever on the credit card, and when we ask, they would want to pull a hard. There seem to be no concept of Account Reviews ... they don't ever peek at your report once the card is issued, and that can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your perspective ...

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with my credit union, EXCEPT these minor irritants ....