Credit

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by steve, Apr 17, 2001.

1. steve

steve Well-Known Member

It look like the Tinlizzie and B.B. is in the same old folks home down in Canton,Ms.

The people on this and all other credit boards are looking for one thing how to fix their credit so they can go out and rip off a credit card company or some other business.

This board should be call the.
    Let's fix my credit and rip off the one's that extend credit.

Steve

2. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

Not much of a comment needed here. Credit reports are known to have a large percentage of inaccurate information. I don't recall seeing a post here in which anyone indicated they knew they owe the money but want to find a way to "rip off" the lender. Because a lender or collector cannot report accurate information, and we insist on this information being correct, does not make us wrong.

3. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer Guest

Exactly right, Hal

Ripping people off for cash is an extremely idiotic thing to do. Lying to people is no better. Both are totally reprehensible.

As you so aptly pointed out, few if any here actually advocate ripping people off and damanding that reports by a reporting agency be accurate or else get the correct information before reporting it to others is not about ripping people off. And just because you get the report removed from your credit bureau files does not give you either the moral or legal right to refuse to pay what you legally and rightfully owe.

The only things that relieve you of paying off what you owe is the creditor sending you an actual statement that your bill is paid in full. Even the fact of a collection agency sending you a statement saying that they forgive the debt don't actually cancel your debt. Such statement from a collection agency only guarantees that they won't pursue the matter any further, but if they don't actually own the debt, then they can't forgive the debt they didn't own in the first place and you still at least morally owe the original creditor, especailly if he just turned it over to the collection agency to collect.

One always needs to analyze any given situation and do what one thinks is the right thing to do.

If you "fix" your credit and then use the new credit to borrow the money to pay off what you legally owe, then you have done the right thing. If you use the "new" credit to go out and rip off a few more, then one needs a new lesson and may very well get it too.

I sure wish some people took time to better understand what is actually being said instead of just jumping to conclusions.

You just made an excellent point.

Bill Bauer

4. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Thankyou Bobby.

5. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

One Exception, Bill

Good point about reporting or lack thereof not affecting your legal or moral obligations.

However, I see an obvious exception to this. If you are dealing not with the original creditor, but with a collection agency...and if that collection agency has deliberately reported false information about the account...then paying on the account may not even benefit the original creditor. In addition, paying on the account would reward an entity that had made false statements, providing an incentive to do so again in the future.

I believe a person should seriously consider whether rewarding a crooked collection agency would be more immoral than refusing to pay a contractual debt.

6. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer Guest

Valid point indeed

That's a very valid point indeed.

And you have also, probably inadvertently, made a second point, and that is why this type of forum needs so many different people posting to it and contribution ideas, thoughts, help and suggestions.

One person can almost never come up with all the possible answers to a given question or problme. If they even try, their post goes on ad infinitium, ad nauseum as I quite often prove very well.

bill bauer