Creditor Dispute Help

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Safyre, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Safyre

Safyre Well-Known Member

I have an old Citibank card that was closed by them 5/95. I can't remember it off hand.
    I called them and after the third phone call, the lady put me on hold and then told me she was shown a different way to look up old accounts. She said the info she had was that it was sold to RMA. Ok, fine. I asked her the date it was closed and reported as dilenquent. She said the only info she had was that it was sold and my name. Nothing else.
    How should I dispute this with them? or is it disutable?
    RMA has reported this debt...it is also reported as paid. So no money is owed at all.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Well, the first thing that is a problem is the question of do you or do you not owe them money?
    Yes, it is disputable. You just need to be a bit careful how you go about it. Reason is that if you actually do not owe the money or RMA cannot prove that you owe money then you could be in line for a good damages award if you wish to pursue the issue. A simple dispute to the credit bureau might very well ruin any chances you might have for a damage suit against them. It don't make any difference if you actually owe the money or not. Just can they prove it or not. If they can, OH WELL! If they can't, you can give them an awful lot of problems.
    Well, if that is actually true, then what business do they have reporting anything.

Make them prove it and go from there.

3. Safyre

Safyre Well-Known Member

The comment on my credit report for Citibank is "Payment after charge off/collection, balance $0"

Can they report stuff when they can't provide any information other than your name and a comment that they sold it?
    I know it is set to fall off next year, but I am just confused how Citibank can say that it is accurate information if they can't find anything else about me or that account. They can't even tell me when it was sold. They only thing I have is the date on my credit report of when it was closed.

4. bbauer

bbauer Banned

you simply have to force them to tell you what you want to know. It's your right to know even if you have to take them to court to prize the information out of them, you can do that too.

You don't have to put up with it.

You just have to know your rights and stand up for them. If you don't know your rights then you don't have any that the other fellow isn't willing to give you of his own free will.

Those he won't give you, you have to stand up and fight for or he wins the day