Creditor is ignoring my reques

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Tennessee, Apr 14, 2000.

1. Tennessee

Tennessee Guest

A creditor is attempting to collect a debt which isn't mine. I have sent six certified letters since September, 1999 (all six were signed for)asking for the creditor to verify with any contract or other invoice, etc. that the account is mine... yet, the creditor will not respond nor will it remove the negative credit reporting. This has been going on for seven months and I am losing patience. Do I have a cause of action?

2. lathrop

lathrop Guest

RE: Creditor is ignoring my re

Request your credit reports from the 3 credit bureaus, and send in a dispute letter to them (if the account shows up on any of them). The creditor has 30 days to respond, and if they do not, the CRB has to remove the information. If they do not you can add a 100 word consumer statement to your file to the effect that this is not your account and they can contact you for further informatin.

3. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

While I do agree with the first part of your advice, and feel this "should" solve Tennessee's problem. I must comment with your latter piece of advice.

The "100 word consumer statement" was basically added as a milksop to let consumers "believe" that had the ability to retain their rights by explaining their side of the story.

The reality is nothing could be further from the truth. If Tennessee attempts to apply online he will almost surely be declined soley because of the fraudulent placed negative iinformation. Even if he decides to go through a flesh and blood person (the only one's that would be in a position to read it) he could easily explain it in far more depth than a mere 100 and, in fact, find that potential lenders state their "hands are tied" by their restrictive policies and reject him or decide to use that as an excuse to offer him much worse rates and offers.

The fact that this particular collector is "willfully" ignoring these certified, signed for letters means either outright incompetence or more likely an arrogant "we don't give a @!#$ what you say we'll keep reporting it until YOU pay us" and have most assuredly thrown the letters in the trash.

There is only ONE WAY to deal with these type of scum and that is to sue them, and not for small change either. The courts and the usual government suspects have shown a great willingness, even eagerness, to go after collection agencies because "everybody hates them" and it gives them good political capital.

To sum it up either the CRA's remove it when asked to verify or he has to sue the collector to clear his name.

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member

A letter from an attorney, along with a formal complaint to my state's Atty. General is what it took to handle one of these situations...the credit bureau never showed the info, but the collection agency was convinced I owed them money...yet they never reported it...