Creditor sent bill to a wrong address

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by tesuau, Sep 24, 2003.

1. tesuau

tesuau New Member

I have a credit card for years, but for some reason the address changed (not me) & they sent bill to wrong address . Now, I see that they charged a late fee, and my score went down. Is this ever happen to anyone here? & Were you be able to resolve with the creditor?

Thx

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

FLEET MADE ME MOVE MY HOUSE TO THE DRAINAGE DITCH...

Good thing I have ON-LINE PAYMENTS...it only took 3 months to fix!!!

I had to call like 6 or 7 times to get it fixed!!!

3. connorw

connorw Well-Known Member

i had something similiar happen. I called every day and insisted on talkig wih a supervisor. I kept asking them where my bill was. What's the address you sent it to? That's not my address, it hasn't changed in x years. I'm not paying any penalties, etc for your computer error, do I need to call my attorney?. Took about two weeks, they finally got tired of me calling every day.

4. tesuau

tesuau New Member

I see, thanks guys. By the way, I have another card by Chase that has a balance (different creditor from the first one that I currently have problem with). Since this card is now in "default", is that going to affect the Chase card (APR) that I have ?
    Probably not, because they r different creditors. Am I right???

5. lakpr

lakpr Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Creditor sent bill to a wrong address

Wrong!

All the major issuers -- Citibank, Bank One (including First USA), MBNA, Chase -- amended their agreements about early last year that allows them to jack your terms if you are in default with "us, or any other creditor" ...

Hate to say this to you, but watch the domino effect on all your cards...

6. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

Tesuau,

Has this charged off yet?

???

7. ontrack

ontrack Well-Known Member

Regarding sending a bill to the wrong address, see the Fair Credit Billing Act, (on FTC site). This specifically requires that their bill be sent at least 14 days before additional charges would accrue, to the address you provided, and they must also send to your new address if you provide it 20 days before the end of the billing period. If you did not change your address and they unilaterally change it, then they may be in voilation of FCBA. Normally FCBA covers billing disputes. If they don't follow FCBA, they may forfeit up to $50 even if owed. Threatening to report during the dispute may itself be a violation.

I had a problem with a CC bill that the bank switched to an old address I had not lived at for several years. When I finally got statement copies, they even showed statements with my current address, then several with my old address, then after I had them correct it, to my current address again. At first they started piling on late charges, claiming I had to pay it whether they sent a statement or not. I pointed out the FCBA violation, to the right supervisor, and also complained to my branch manager, who I had given a lot of business to, and all charges were corrected quickly. Although in my case my bank finally solved the problem after several phone calls, to preserve your rights, FCBA requires the appropriate letters to be sent. I found FCBA useful to move the decision from the initial low level jerk to the right level of supervisor.

8. tesuau

tesuau New Member

Re: Re: Re: Creditor sent bill to a wrong address

wow, did not know this until now :)

I spoke to them & they said they will credit the late charges & finance. Then, I complained about my credit report, the CSR said she has to speak to her supervisor about this, and it will be removed on my report (probably about 60 - 90 days) ...

um, I forgot to mention that it has been about 2 months =) since the last bill.

Just checking my account today, & they really did credit all the charges. Great !!! still waiting for them to remove ... on my report ...

Since this had been fixed, is this still going to affect other cards that I have like lakpr said ?

9. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Creditor sent bill to a wrong address

It can if they see it on the credit reports before it's removed from them.
    Things like this is why FICO is a scam

10. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Creditor sent bill to a wrong address

1*This specifically requires that their bill be sent at least 14 days before additional charges would accrue.
    ontrack
    1*The way I've always understood it is they have to give you at least 14 days after you receive the bill to pay it.
    Mailing the bill 14 days before the due date would not meet this requirement.
    BTW 14 days is inadequate in this day and age and it needs changed to 30 days.
    THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """"```--~~~~~~~~~--```'""'''