Creit Repair Services

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by MCCA, Jun 6, 2000.

1. MCCA

MCCA Guest

I have recived (and seen) emails and ads for services from Lexington Law Firm and Carreon and Associates for credit repair. Lexington states that the customer is entitled to a partial or full refund if the credit reports do not improve significantly. Alot of vague terminology. Any experience out there with these services? I know they sponsor these type of message boards...

2. Carreonand

Carreonand Guest

MCCA:
    The difference between our firm and Lexington is that they are strictly a full service repair firm while we push self-help. We recommend to anyone before they pay a penny that they read and understand all they can about credit repair because you can solve most on your own without paying for it. If you have ever visited our corporate site, you would see how much free information we give to teach you effective tools in coping with and correcting errors. Should you decide to use a full service plan, I have yet to find one that can give you a guarantee. It is impossible to guarantee what will happen and basically you are paying for the legwork. Lexington is good and that is why we partnered with them. Overall, their results are excellent and better then any other we have found but it is still credit repair no matter how you spice it up and credit repair can be learned!
    Kristi
    CarreonandAssociates.com

MCCA wrote:
    -------------------------------
    I have recived (and seen) emails and ads for services from Lexington Law Firm and Carreon and Associates for credit repair. Lexington states that the customer is entitled to a partial or full refund if the credit reports do not improve significantly. Alot of vague terminology. Any experience out there with these services? I know they sponsor these type of message boards...

3. MCCA

MCCA Guest

Thanks for the insight. I'll try it on my own first (with some information from your web site and others).

4. Guam

Guam Guest

I think that's a wise choice. In addition consider this: according to Title IV of the Consumer Credit Protection Act (Public Law 90-321, 82 Stat. 164), section 404,

(b) Payment in Advance.--No credit repair organization may charge or receive any money or other valuable consideration for the performance of any service which the credit repair organization has agreed to perform for any consumer before such service is fully performed.

So anyone that charges you in advance for services are breaking the law. Most companies circumvent this by claiming that they are selling the "method" on how to fix your credit report, and not actually doing it for the customers. The fact is that with a little research you can do all that these companies do, if you have the time and patience to learn all the tricks.

5. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

RE: Credit Repair Services

The difference between our firm and Lexington is that they are strictly a full service repair firm while we push self-help. We recommend to anyone before they pay a penny that they read and understand all they can about credit repair because you can solve most on your own without paying for it. If you have ever visited our corporate site, you would see how much free information we give to teach you effective tools in coping with and correcting errors. Should you decide to use a full service plan, I have yet to find one that can give you a guarantee. It is
    impossible to guarantee what will happen and basically you are paying for the legwork. Lexington is good and that is why we partnered with them. Overall, their results are excellent and better then any other we have found but it is still credit repair no matter how you spice it up and credit repair can be learned!

Tell me Kristy what have you to say to those who hold a "cough cough" dissenting opinion as the following so clearly illustrates

"There is nothing that a credit repair company can do for you â?? for a fee â?? that you cannot do for yourself for little or no cost."

"I can't believe that ANYONE would say that, but to put this lie on a site for people with bad credit is truly outrageous. Even the most intelligent and well educated people can't correctly read a credit report unless they're IN the credit business.

Why would someone make an absurd statement like that? I guess it's because people with bad credit like to hear that they can do everything themselves as well as any credit expert or lawyer with 10 years experience.

Those site owners/promoters frequent forums and it's so obvious that all they do is try to lure people with bad credit to their sites so they'll click on those banner ads ..."

I know, I'm a @!#$ disturber :), but I thought this would be a good opportunity to get a thread going on this and discuss it in a rational manner.

6. BarryN - C

BarryN - C Guest

Steven,

...And departure for the time share at the lodge has been delayed. ;)

In my experience much of the credit restoration strategy can be accomplished by the consumer. But in reality there are sticky situations that require help for proffessionals. I for one had Kristi and her office take care of problem I was having. I can't tell you how inpressive their assitance was. "Nipped it in the bud!" Pronto. So yes a consumer can do much to help themselves, but profesionals can also be a vital link to their success.

My 2 cents,

BarryN
    (I am leaving off my disclaimer just for you Steven)

7. Carreonand

Carreonand Guest

Well,,, I know where that quote came from too but it does not mean I agree with it. The fact of the matter is, when you are talking in general terms, the average person does not know enough to repair their credit but....That is where education comes in. I do not not know enough to repair my own car but I can certainly read the manuals and if I fail, Hire a pro. Simple as that.(BTW, I did do just that and rebuilt my own carborator when I was 19,lol.)

The choice should be the consumers not anyone else. Hardnose selling people on credit repair ranks up there with car salesmen in my opinion. Leave it up to the consumer and let them come to you for help if they need it. This is a perfect example of why we list so much free info like statutes, dealing with collectors, duplicate accounts, reporting time etc. No one should have to pay just to find out simple information. Now, when you start dealing with negotiations, collection agency harassment and the like, get a pro to cut them off.

Steven Z wrote:
    The difference between our firm and Lexington is that they are strictly a full service repair firm while we push self-help. We recommend to anyone before they pay a penny that they read and understand all they can about credit repair because you can solve most on your own without paying for it. If you have ever visited our corporate site, you would see how much free information we give to teach you effective tools in coping with and correcting errors. Should you decide to use a full service plan, I have yet to find one that can give you a guarantee. It is
    impossible to guarantee what will happen and basically you are paying for the legwork. Lexington is good and that is why we partnered with them. Overall, their results are excellent and better then any other we have found but it is still credit repair no matter how you spice it up and credit repair can be learned!

Tell me Kristy what have you to say to those who hold a "cough cough" dissenting opinion as the following so clearly i....

8. Carreonand

Carreonand Guest

Thanks B!

BarryN - CreditMania.com wrote:
    Steven,

...And departure for the time share at the lodge has been delayed. ;)

In my experience much of the credit restoration strategy can be accomplished by the consumer. But in reality there are sticky situations that require help for proffessionals. I for one had Kristi and her office take care of problem I was having. I can't tell you how inpressive their assitance was. "Nipped it in the bud!" Pronto. So yes a consumer can do much to help themselves, but profesionals can also be a vital link to their success.

My 2 cents,

BarryN
    (I am leaving off my disclaimer just for you Steven)

9. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

If you are retaining a legitimate law firm to do this for you (and Lexington is a legitimate law firm) they are entitled to ask you for a retainer. It's different because you are retaining them to represent you to the CRAs and creditors, not just do "credit repair", even though that might be the purpose you retained them for.

10. Eric

Eric Guest

I disagree, Steven.

I've completely rebuilt my credit on my own over the last two years. Granted, there was a lot of learning to do, but learning the patience was probably the hardest part.

I strongly believe that in a world that is so ultimately dependant on a single number (ones credit score), you MUST understand how the system works to maximize your financial capabilities.

Even though my credit is perfect at this point, I still pull my reports once every month or two to properly leverage my good credit into a stronger portfolio. Barry would be pround :)

Once you understand what a credit report is actually representing, it isn't that hard to read. There are several excellent books on the subject in addition to the wealth of information available on-line.

11. magic

magic Guest

I have to disagree with you. Just because someone has bad credit doesn't mean they're stupid! No, a credit report isn't the easiest thing to read and understand, but it can be done! I sounds as if you are insinuating that people who have bad credit are stupid and can't be expected to understand such a complex document! That's a bunch of BS!!

12. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

To Eric and Magic

I'm afraid you have misunderstood the paragraphs I QUOTED from elsewhere were in part to get Kristy's goat and somewhat of an inside joke between myself and Barry N as the following paragraph in that tirade I did not quote would have clearly illustrated.

While I certainly don't agree with the individual in question narrowminded and snobbish attitude I thought, considering the subject of the thread, that it would be a good opportunity to bring it forth and debate it in a thoughful and rational manner.

I'm hoping we can still do so.

13. Eric

Eric Guest

I agree that it is a worthwhile debate, if for no other reason than to open the eyes of a few more consumers to get their act together.

I saw your debate request, and that's the context under which I replied.