CROSS COUNTRY BANK the origina

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by BOB, Mar 22, 2000.

1. BOB

BOB Guest

This crap with CCB has got to stop, if you have a complaint about CCB write to:
    Office of the State Bank Commissioner
    State of Deleware
    555 E. Loockerman Street, Suite 210
    Dover, Deleware 19901

Don't know how much good it will do but if
    enough people call and or write to them maybe
    they will start an investigation. I will try
    and find out some other addresses to write
    to. The more people that step up and complain the better chance we have of getting
    something done about these crooks and there crooked employees.

2. Meredith

Meredith Guest

RE: CROSS COUNTRY BANK the ori

My current trouble with Cross Country may seem trivial, but I'll post it anyways.

I had a 3.85 credit balnce coming to me, i requested to close my account on March 15th. I had a very hard time doing this, they were rude, wanted all kinds of reasons why and it took me an hour on the phone to accomplish this simple task.

Today I got my statement for my closed account for which I have a letter stating it closed as of the 15th of March. They charged me 25 cents interest, no big deal that was why I had mailed them the extra cash. They then charged me 50 cents for mailing a statement on a closed account. I really don't feel I should be paying them to send me a statemtent on a closed and paid in full account. What do you think?

My mother also canceled both her CCB cards including the Screw Me Prefered one the same day I closed mine and had simmilar troubles closing them and has yet to recieve the letters that confirmed them being closed.

I called them about my bill from today and was assured they were correct. I could not get them to allow me to talk to a supervisor so I mentioned writting the Delaware Banking Commision and told them they could eat their fifty cents.

Any other suggestions....I know fifty cents is really no big deal to most of you, although if they keep sending me statements on my closed account all those fifty cents will add up when they start tacking on their late fees and their yearly membership because I have a balance. I'm sure many have been turned over to collections for games like that.

3. BOB

BOB Guest

It may seem small now, but knowing CCB it
    could turn into something big. Make a copy
    of your statement that shows the closing
    date. If they send you another statement
    send them the copy showing the closing date and that you account is paid in full. Also tell them you are sending copies of everything to the De. State Bank Banking
    Commission. Send the letter to CCB registered
    and get a return receipt so you have proof
    they got it. It may cost you a few bucks to
    finally end it all, but thats better than letting it go on forever. And anybody who
    asks you about CCB, just tell them that there
    the biggest bunch of crooks from the Pres.
    Rocco all the way down to the idiots in the
    mail room. The only banking they do is
    credit cards. So every person we can save
    from making the same mistakes we did will
    be one less customer that Crooks Country Bank
    get to cheat. If you want you can check out
    newcase.atr@usdoj.gov That is the e-mail
    address for the U.S. Senate Banking Committee
    There Add. is
    534 Dirksen Senate Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510

THERE YOU CAN FIND OUT ALL KINDS OF INFO.
    THAT MAY HELP YOU IN THE FUTURE.
    Good Luck!!

4. Derek

Derek Guest

I have already posted this at www.complaintstation.com, and I am doing research to find out as much as possible about this Bank's problem's. The following is my complaint.
    I attempted to close my Cross Country Credit Card Account on 11/14/99 over the phone with a represenative. I sent them the remaining balance (the next day) as
    quoted by the rep., they said that would take care of everything. Now they have continued to send a bill with false charges. The bill was paid, account closed as far
    as I knew. And a bill for $95.00 shows up with no detail, nothing that even explains what the charge is...just pay it in full. I have contacted the Bank, and they claim
    the charges are valid, and that I did not request the account closed. I have refused payment verbally, and have told them to close the account. I don't have much
    confidence that they will follow through especially after finding all these complaints here. I am also filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. This company
    should be shut down.

5. GS

GS Guest

Also contact your State Attorney General,
    Deleware State Bank Committee. File a law suit in civil court if you have to. The last thing they want is to appear in court they lose credibilty and they don't have much of that left if any. there a bunch of thiefs
    and cowards.

6. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

If you close a credit card account and it has a credit balance on it, by federal law the creditor must remit the credit balance within 7 days of the closure of the account.

It should be pointed out to them that when you close your account, you are terminating your agreement with them, except for those parts of the credit card agreement that are clearly stated as 'survivable'. Usually this have to do with dispute resolution as many banks are now putting a compulsory arbitration clause in their credit card agreements rather than take the risk of getting sued in federal court over very small amounts of money.

Terminated means you no longer have the right to use the card and they no longer have the right to charge fees.

Note than 'cancelling' an account on which you still money does not 'close' the account. It isn't going to be closed until it's paid off. It just revokes your right to add to the balance and freezes the terms and conditions under which you are paying the account (such as the interest rate or minimum payment factor.)

7. Len

Len Guest

While Cross Country is cheating you, pay what they want now, before it gets into big money and a terrible mess. They will charge you a late fee on that .50! Send it certified mail, and do not waste time on the phone with them! It's useless. You can dispute the charges, but for now, pay them. It's unfair but worth keeping it from getting worse. And with Cross Country, it can get damn unbelieveable!

8. J. Edgar

And furthermore....

The proper way to close a credit card account is to take the cards, cut them in half and send the pieces along with a letter to the creditor requesting the account be closed. If there is a credit balanace, request it be remitted within 7 days per federal law. Request that they provide you with a letter confirming the closure of the account. If there is still a balance on the account request that they provide the terms and conditions of repayment plus an current copy of the credit card agreement.

Sending the letter certified mail certainly can not hurt and is virtually required when dealing with notorious slime balls like CCB.

A couple of other 'tricks': Got to the post office and get a supply of the green certified mail receipts and the green postcards for the return receipts. Type the receipt number directly onto the letter.

When the post card is affixed to the envelope you letter is going in, the side that bears your return address will be face down and not visible to whoever signs for the letter.

Before affixing the postcard to the envelope, under your name and address write something like:

"Notification of Closure of Account 4999 0000 1111 2222; X cards enclosed", where X is the number of severed cards you are returning.

They will not see this when the sign for the letter as it's still affixed to the envelope. Only after they sign for it will the postal employee remove the card and put it in the mail back to you. Now you have clear proof that they signed for the closure letter and the cards. As further protection, take a piece of clear packing tape and cover your address AND the notation you have written on the post card so it is shows that you did not write it on the post card AFTER you got it back.

I'd like to see anyone try to dispute that kind of evidence in a court of law.

9. Len

Len Guest

RE: And furthermore....

Great Idea, J. Edgar!

10. DW

DW Guest

They DEFINITELY respond to the DE Bank Commission....the usual BS, but at least they are forced to respond...

11. DW

DW Guest

Send them enough to make sure it is a credit balance...file your complaint with the DE State Bank Commission...tell them CCB failed to comply with the FCRA as far as the 7 day rule...keep the credit balance on their, and make sure you let them (DE Bank Comm) the BS they are pulling...if enough of us bombard them with letters, they HAVE to investigate, right?..also, the FDIC is another complaint avenue, but much slower...

12. DW

DW Guest

DO NOTHING WITH THESE IDIOTS OVER THE PHONE!

I even have a letter granting a credit of 27 dollars that they are saying doesn't exist..

J. Edgar gives a lot of good ideas...cc the world on all your correspondence...stay polite but firm, and give them the facts...

13. Meredith

Meredith Guest

I am drafting my letter to the DE Banking commision as we speak it will be signed by me, my attorney and senior council at his firm. I also will be sending my cards with a check and a letter requesting closure of accounts and copies of the letters they sent me already confirming the closure. I'll make the check out for 50 dollars, not too much to lose but enough to make sure that there are no additional interest charges that they can tack on to me and will request a credit refund with in 7 days, per federal law.

I have perfect credit and the last thing i need is being turned over for collections on a bill I know I paid.

What I am going to do for my mothers accounts beats me at this point if they're open they are, she has high balances and i won't have them paid off until atleast the end of the summer. Since she already has terrible credit this isn't quite as bad for her as it is for me. Although I wish this mess upon no one, and why I ever accepted these cards is beyond me, I was told they were bad to deal with before I got the cards.

Does anyone know what sending a copy of the letter to the credit b's would do? I was thinking of sending them the letters confirming zero balances and confirmed closure of the account.

14. ALS

ALS Guest

Could you explain this in more detail:

Note than 'cancelling' an account on which you still money does not 'close' the account. It isn't going to be closed until it's paid off. It just revokes your right to add to the balance and freezes the terms and conditions under which you are paying the account (such as the interest rate or minimum payment factor.)

Does this mean that if I "cancell" my account I won't have interest added to my balance each month?

Thanks for any clarification!

15. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

"Does anyone know what sending a copy of the letter to the credit b's would do? I was thinking of sending them the letters confirming zero balances and confirmed closure of the account."

I fully agree with this strategy. I consider it a pre-emptive strike against either incompetence or maliciousness on the Credit Institutions' part.

Don't forget to specify largely and clearly that this account was "closed by consumer" enough people who have closed their accounts in good faith have been screwed over by some company reporting it as "closed by creditor" which in my opinion is little better than an R9 or writeoff.

Make sure in your correspondence with CCB that you inform them that you have already sent copies of this to the CRA's the State Banking Commission and draft it on the companies' legal letterhead. Furthermore send it directly to CCB's shysters. As no doubt they want to avoid a lawsuit at all costs (they always lose) they'll terminate your account and settle it soon enough.

16. portercm

portercm Guest

Hi,
    I first got the CCB card some time last year and they had sent me like 5 or 6 letters saying that i could up my credit. Well after throwing all but one away, I said yes. Then about I think 3 months later they upped my credit automatically, which was o.k. by me. Then a few more months later they called my house asking me if I wanted the MC card(I had the Visa). At first I told them no and they would tell me they would check back in a month or so to see if I would change my mind. Well, that didn't happen, they called my house every single day begging me to get the MC card. Finally I said yes so they would leave me alone. Anyway, now I just recently in the past few months "cancelled" my accounts, I told them I would still pay what I owe, and they took at least 30 minutes asking me why. I told them I closed them so I wouldn't owe for the rest of my life. Now I applied for a Nextcard to do balance transfers and from what I read about you guys I am afraid that even if they get the money from Nextcard on what I owe CCB, CCB will still ask me for money. Is there anything I should do to make sure that they don't double charge me? Like make a copy of the statement from Nextcard saying they paid them or what? Thanks for the advise in advance. :)

17. J. Edgar

Interest (finance charge) will be added to your account after you 'cancel' the account, but the terms of the interest will be frozen. If you had a 'fixed' interest rate of 12%, it will remain at 12%. If you had a variable rate, such as Prime + 6.9%, that formula will stay the same, but will be adjusted if the prime rate changes (as it has been the past several months.)

You should be careful though as some credit cards are putting in their agreements provisions for dealing with 'cancelled' accounts with outstanding balances that will allow them to raise the rate. These provisions are not operable when the card issuer notifies you of an adverse change in the terms and conditions and you choose to 'cancel' the account at that point. They usually give you a very short window of opportunity to do so and typically you MUST do it in writing.

Also, the worst thing you can possible do is 'cancel' an account with a remaining balance and then have a late payment or two. They will jack up the interest to a penalty rate and they have no motivation whatsoever to lower it for you, since you can not charge to the account any longer. If this happens, transfer the balance elsewhere and be done with it. If that's not possible, pay it off as quickly as you possibly can.

18. J. Edgar

You would think that the Delaware Banking Commission has grown weary of dealing with all of the compliants regarding CCB and would take some more definitive action. They probably have an office dedicated to CCB staffed by four tired looking, worn out people who dread getting those boxes full of angry mail laden with horror stories about CCB each and every day.

19. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

Weary enough that they've made noises to CCB about doing an investigation. While the hold up to this may very well be some well "greased palms" Cross Country Crooks are taking no chance and moving their snake act to a state that doesn't much believe in regulations, that being Florida. Where the "good ole boys" running the departments there always have their hands out.

20. ronnie ber

ronnie ber Guest

my husband just got a visa creditline of 450.00 what i am reading i am scared. what do we look for he has aready spent about 230.00 to 250.00 . please let me know