Cross Country, Leave Me The He

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Angry Amer, May 14, 2000.

1. Angry Amer

Angry Amer Guest

Here reads the first paragraph of a ridiculous letter I got today from Cross Country Bank:

At Cross Country Bank, we believe consumers like you should have the convenience and purchasing power of a VISA credit card without having to send in a security deposit. That is why you have been selected to receive this special unsecured VISA offer along with the exclusive right to enroll in Applied Advantage, the money-saving enhancement program offered only through Cross Country Bank.

APR for purchases: 21.74%
    APR for past due purchases: 24.74%
    Grace Period: NONE
    Annual Fee: $50
    Applied Advantage Membership Fee: $34.95
    Account Origination Fee (one time only): $100
    Express Service: $10

This company is being allowed to charge these obscene fees all in the name of a free market economy. How many unsophisticated Americans out there, who work hard at lousy jobs for lousy wages, who can't read plain language much less the deceptive and round-a-bout language of the unwanted Cross Country solicitation delivered to my mail box on my porch - how many of these Americans are prey to these vultures in the name of a free market economy? Where the hell did they get my name? My address? Who gave it to them? We need to put a stop to this kind of abuse and put banks like Cross Country out of business and their executives in prison. I have made copies of my UNWANTED solicitation from Cross Country and am sending it to EVERY SINGLE member of Congress asking that they hold hearings on Cross Country and the whole rogue's gallery of sub-prime and sub-human card issuers and bring them down! I request that any person who gets an unwanted solicitation from Cross Country send it to your elected representative suggesting they forward the document(s) to federal agencies for examination by federal attorneys.

2. Len

Len Guest

RE: Cross Country, Leave Me Th

Amen!
    Cross Country is not only charging outrageous fees up front. It is unethical, dishonest, and shameless in the many other ways it rips off and abuses unsuspecting victims. No one should do business with any outfit that is so contemptuous of its customers and sees them as just one more ignorant deadbeat who deserves to be taken for all Cross Country can get.

3. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

Most banks compiling their mailing lists for credit card offers by getting information from the big 3 consumer reporting agencies (Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion). They ask the CRAs to send them the header info on people who meet certain criteria.

CCB probably asks for people with a FICO below a certain number or anyone who has certain derogatory information in their file like x# charge-offs, x# lates, x# collections, etc. They figure these people can't get a 'real' credit card and are chomping at the bit in desperation to get credit anywhere they can.

You can get off of the CRA junk lists by opting out. One call to 1-888-5OPTOUT (888-567-8688) will suppress your information from being passed along to any potential creditors. This request will be passed to all 3 bureaus. It will probably take a couple of weeks for the junk mail to stop though.

4. slayer

slayer Guest

Why dont you just throw the damn thing away!!

5. bruce

bruce Guest

I believe that Cross-Country Bank is ripping good people like you and I off. I started out with a 350.00 limit, I pay regularly and every time I receive a bill, it shows up with a late charge to make it seem as though I sent it late. It has gotten to the point that I am owing them over 500.00 with these ridiculous over the limit fees and increased interest rate of 27%. I would be more than happen to join in a lawsuit that would finally put this company in check.

6. James C

James C Guest

Cross Country is only one of several dozen that compete in the "sub-prime" credit card arena. If you are on their list of "pre-approved" offers, it means that you probably have a FICO score or 600 or less. It's like high risk auto insurance, if you want to drive after having several accidents or tickets, you pay the price. If you want a credit card after not paying your bills on time (if at all) you also have to pay the price. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head.

7. Len

Len Guest

If only that were all there is to Cross Country, but from reading this board one might come to the conclusion that there's a lot more to paying for credit involved. The fact that Cross Country is crooked, runs a scam, and treats its customers with contempt is no where mentioned in their credit agreement.
    I checked.
    The poor reputation of Cross Country is well deserved and they didn't get it by simply expensive. Cheating and ripping folks off earned Cross Country the reputation it richly deserves.

8. BOB

BOB Guest

Spoken like a true CROOKS COUNTRY BANK
    EMPLOYEE. With CCB it doesn't matter if you
    pay on time, if you pay twice the minimum,
    or pay your balance they will find a way to screw you with bogus fees, held payment,
    or payment that misteriously vanish. Hell
    they will deposit your payment 5 days before the due date and still charge you late fees.
    then after you go to hell and back to prove it they will admit it was their error, then they will take months to clear it up and raise your rates for their error and tell you the computer won't allow them to lower the rate back to where it was. That good old computer of theirs screws more people than
    anyone else. Their Customer Service people
    are unethical morons with about a third grade education. Their supervisors have no
    morals at all. And Mr. Shaw, now theirs a joke for an employee if there ever was one.
    James do I need to go on. Read the post on the various credit boards and you will see
    just how crooked they are. Compare the post about CCB and any other bank on these boards
    then make a decision about CCB. But don't post your crap to these people on this board because they know just what CROOKS COUNTRY BANK is all about, they don't even have a toll free # for their customer service dept.
    Tell me they care about their customers and I'll call you a lier as will alot of others.
    Damn that felt good Len!!

9. Len

Len Guest

BOB, I love those posts from the self-righteous who say "just pay your bill on time!"
    When Cross Country "lost" one payment, I believed they never received it. The second time, I questioned it. The third time it happened, with registered mail receipt in hand, I could see what was happening.
    Cross Country steals from customers.
    I learned this fact slowly, but I learned it undeniably.

10. BOB

BOB Guest

Len, I guess James decided he didn't want to take a beating, I can't blame him, anybody
    with anything good to say about CCB deserves
    a beating for being so stupid.