Darrel-or anyone who can help

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jennifer, Mar 23, 2000.

1. jennifer

jennifer Guest

Darrel,
    you seem to know quite a bit about credit...and I'm hoping in repair also...i got a copy of my credit report about a month or so ago...they keep track of your addy's...and there was an address on there that I never lived at...does that damage your report in any way? the only thing I can figure is that my ex-husband lived at that addy...after I asked him if he used my SSN and he said no...I told him that his addy showed up on my report like I lived there...then he told me that he had gotten a bill there in my name once...but never told me about it...is it possible to have that taken off?

2. Barry N

Barry N Guest

RE: My 2 Cents...

Jennifer,

Of course you can have this corrected. In many cases you can resolve an erroneous address listing with just a phone call to the credit bureau. (if they agree to delete the bad address, ask them to send a copy of the updated file. It's your right) If that doesn't work then dispute it in writing. I am not sure that the bad address listing will hurt your score at all. However, they are looking for a stable address, say at least 2 years in one place.

By the way, be sure and get all 3 credit reports. You need to make sure all three are correct.

Good Luck,

Barry Noret
    CreditMania.com, Inc.
    A Unique Personal Finance Portal
    http://creditmania.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    *About our suggestions:
    We respond to your questions and make
    no claims that our suggestions will fit
    your exact needs. This is for informational
    purposes only and should never be construed
    as legal advice.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. Darrel

Darrel Guest

Jennifer:

I think Barry's advice is sound. I've never had any trouble getting addresses corrected on my credit files. There is a good chance all three will do it over the phone.

As Barry said, ask for an updated copy.

Address errors are common. Experian at one time listed 11 separate addresses for me, the majority of them clearly resulting from data-input errors on their end.

Experian also once listed me as living at the street address of a collection agency.

Address stability is important. If you'd like a good summary of what values Fair Issac places when compiling a FICO score, check out this site:

http://creditinfocenter.com/creditreports/scoring/scoringinfluences.shtml

The operators of the site took the info from a July 1999 Credit Scoring Conference.

4. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

RE: Darrel-or anyone who can h

I had a similar situation on my credit report with Experian. I had temporarily forwarded mail to a friend when I was going to be out of the country for more than a month. This address showed up on my credit report. I disputed it and they took it off without requiring any documentation. (Of course, how could you conclusively prove that you DIDN'T live somewhere?)

Length of time at a particular address is a factor in credit scoring. If your credit report has 4 different forms of your current and/or former addresses on there, I would have them corrected.

Experian had 4 different forms of my PO Box address on there, plus three different versions of a former residential address all due to the Post Office changing zip codes. And you thought the phone company was bad with area codes.

5. Jennifer

Jennifer Guest

Barry,
    all 3 reports from where? thank you for the help.

6. CreditMani

CreditMani Guest

Jennifer,

I am referring to Experian, Trans Union, and Equifax.

You need to get all three to make sure they are all correct.

http://www.creditmania.com/creditfile.htm

Good Luck,

Barry Noret
    CreditMania.com, Inc.
    A Unique Personal Finance Portal
    http://creditmania.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    *About our suggestions:
    We respond to your questions and make
    no claims that our suggestions will fit
    your exact needs. This is for informational
    purposes only and should never be construed