Deferred Student Loans/Planet Feed

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by cmolina, Jun 18, 2001.

1. cmolina

cmolina Member

Do deferred student loans effect my credit rating?

Thanks

2. Cyprigirl

Cyprigirl Well-Known Member

That is a very good qn, I had the same thought recently.

Does anyone on the board know?

I have tons of them in deferment, and I am beginning to wonder if that is affecting my score.

Cyprigirl ;)

3. wwwdenise

wwwdenise Member

I have been paying on all of my students loans for about 2 years now after having them deferred for several years while in grad school.

The only of the 3 reports that indicate DEFERMENT is Tran Union (it may be a mistake or it may always stay on my report as info about the account--have written to Trans Union to delete "deferred" because I have been paying on time for years.)

I don''t know how it affects my rating. You can definitely tell that I have maintained large balances for long periods of time without payment, but other than Trans Union DEFERMENT, no apparent negative-looking marks.

What your report looks like WHILE in deferment is something I do not know--never got a credit report while loans were in deferment.

4. sl1029

sl1029 Well-Known Member

One of the reason codes for my score was the current amount owed on installment loans (my student loans are the only installment loans that I have, and they show as DEFERRED on my credit report).

Although, this reason code was appeared only after I had cleared up a number of ohter things, so it may not be that significant a factor.

However, I know that for mortgage purposes, deferred student loans are ignored, I'm not sure how other types of credit grantors handle them.

I'd suggest getting your score from Equifax and seeing what they say are the reason codes for your score.