deleting old addresses from cr

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by bgolden, Feb 22, 2001.

1. bgolden

bgolden Guest

DOES DELETING OLD ADDRESS FROM CREDIT REPORTS HELP HAVE NEGATIVE ITEMS REMOVED? PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THIS HAS WORKED WITH ANY OF YOU. THANKS A MILLION.

2. Jay

Jay Guest

RE: deleting old addresses fro

Yes it does,

3. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

I just recently had like 10 addresses removed from my Experian report! They weren't all different but variations:

For Example:
    123 Washington St.
    123 Washington SQ.
    123 Washington Ave.
    123 Washington St. Apt. 1 (actual)

Then there were several old addresses and P.O. Boxes that I just went ahead and deleted. I just wanted my reports to show my current address and my previous address before it and nothing else! TU and Equifax had these addresses but Experian had so many and different addresses and variations that it was quite confusing. So I wrote them and told them to delete everthing except for current and my prior and they did. But keep in mind that they still keep record of the addresses that you deleted for a certain amount of time. I can only guess that deleting old addresses can help having negative items removed not hurt.

4. JacquiG

JacquiG Well-Known Member

Experian still lists my old house in Chicago, the PO box I rented between then and before I moved here (used 3 months in 1989) and 2-3 apartments since then. They won't take them off - how did you do it?

5. Desdemona

Desdemona Well-Known Member

I too had 10 different addresses on one of my CRs all different versions of my two apartments. Had them all deleted. (left one apartment showing for my future moragage company) From my couple of years in auto finance, I have learned companies look for stability. Having 10 different addresses (right or wrong) does hurt in the long run. Besides it helps when you stretch the true on that, time at resident question on your credit app, that you only show one or two addresses.

6. Desdemona

Jacqui G

Try sending your current drivers license and utilty bill, and if you still have one an old utilty bill from the appartment(s) showing the old date. If that doesn't work ask the appartment complex(s) for a letter. As for the PO box I am sure that the post office can show that you no longer rent it.

7. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

NO! BE Careful, that will self

If you send proof from the post office that you no longer rent the PO box you have just self verified that you did once rent it.

They're listing the PO box as a previous address. If you follow her advice it'll stay because you just confirmed for them that you did rent it previously.

Just send in proof of current address and ask them to delete the others. With several reports I called and they deleted the others over the phone. With Experian I had to write a letter detailing every address that way wrong. and I copied my report and highlighted the ones I wanted removed. You have to do it like you're talking to a first grader or they won't do a thing. Send in proof of your current dl and a utility bill and that should work. Send the letter certified, rr requested.

By the way, what's the point of sending proof of the old addresses? they'll stay as long as you don't dispute them. If you want variations off you just point out to the bureaus that there are incorrect variations of your previous address: please delete this one and that one.

You only need to send proof of an address when you're adding that address, or when you're verifying your current address. Sorry but Desdemona's advice, while I'm sure well-meaning, doesn't accomplish the task you're requesting.

As an aside, the reason you have old addresses removed is because it's one of the main identifying items in verifying your old accounts. Without that piece of the puzzle, the verification process is harder. That's why it's so important to keep your credit good at your current address.

Your credit files aren't static, they're "built" so to speak based on the info you provide to a lender. part of that process is previous addresses attached to your name, ssn, and dob. and then what accounts attach to those addresses. I know. A friend of mine used to train Equifax reps.

Plus, you look more stable to new creditors w/ 1 or 2 previous addresses than 10.

8. Desdemona

RE: NO! BE Careful, that will

Thank you Marie

For pointing out the PO Box I messed up on that one. Sorry JacquiG I'll be a little more careful before I answer next time. :~)

Marie,
    I don't have any house credit on my reports. While why I am only 31 When my future husband and I go house hunting I need to show that I paid "rent". (I currently live with him but I don't pay rent per say.) By removing my apartments on my credit reports I can't show that I paid rent. Do you know how long a previous address stays on a credit report?

9. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

nope I don't know that one

don't know. I've never had one "drop off". I've removed some of mine purposefully.

With regards to a mortgage, the underwriter will look at other "evidence" you can present Eg: copies of leases w/apts etc

They don't necessarily have to be on the credit reports for them to help you w/ a mortgage. Your broker will help you w/getting qualified. They will look at all supporting docs you have (even if the bureaus haven't updated your files)

For instance: you've paid off something but your bureau shows it still unpaid. If you can't get it fixed at the bureau in time you can present evidence to your future mortgage company and they'll take it into account. The broker is a real person, not just a system like the bureaus.

by the way, it's much easier to get a mortgage than it is to get a credit card or car loan w/good interest rates as long as you can put some money down on the house (although the FHA backed programs are VERY lenient w/regards to credit).

10. Desdemona

RE: nope I don't know that one

Marie

Thank you for all your good advise. I can't tell you how embrassing to have low credit (no house, only a $17,000 car on your credit report) My future husband has house credit so I'm just trying to clean up my the best I can.

Good news tonight I got bold. I have been holding on to a Citibank Platinum Select MC app and tonight I applied online and got $5000 limit approved. Used half of it to pay off my "low" limit cards and with a 1.9% til Nov 2001 I will have that paid off too.

I couldn't have done it with out this board. Thank you for all you advise. And I will learn to keep my mouth shut if I don't know what I'm taking about even when I think I do. :~)

11. JacquiG

JacquiG Well-Known Member

RE: NO! BE Careful, that will

No harm, Desdemona! Thanks also to Marie; I'll work on this soon.

Jac..

12. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Desdemona wrote:
    -------------------------------
    I too had 10 different addresses on one of my CRs all different versions of my two apartments. Had them all deleted. (left one apartment showing for my future moragage company) From my couple of years in auto finance, I have learned companies look for stability. Having 10 different addresses (right or wrong) does hurt in the long run. Besides it helps when you stretch the true on that, time at resident question on your credit app, that you only show one or two addresses.--------------------------------

I have lived at one address all my life but the cra has several addresses on my file:Guess according to the cra I must be older than i am!