Dell-Pooey

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by NanaC, Aug 10, 2001.

1. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Ok, this Dell situation has become really bad. I'm still waiting with no word one way or the other, just an extension of the estimated shipping date. I got a call yesterday from the finance dept. who told my hubby they just needed some info to finalize but wouldn't tell him what (I was at work.) I called back, no answer, and left a message with my number and my cellphone number. Nothing today.

I'm writing planetfeedback and cancelling. I'm sorry to say this is one negative experience with Dell.

2. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Ok, Cancelled order..but did it through Planet Feedback. Like the fact that the complaint was addressed to Mr. Dell! Cool.

OK, now back to the drawing, er, computer board

3. MT

MT Well-Known Member

Nana, try Gateway for the computer and financing. They initially extended $2000 in revolving credit (should be enough). 90 days same as cash (not the best interest rate, but I paid it off w/in the timeframe and didn't pay any interest). Good luck.

4. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Thanks, MT...have to ask..did you have BK in your past? Mine is 5 years old. Thanks But, it's not on Experian on all. :)

5. eddie

eddie Well-Known Member

Gateway has absolutely no customer service. If you have a problem you will spend hours listening to muzak before you get to speak to a real human. Gateway is losing marketshare to dell at an incredible rate and pitiful customer service is the reason.

6. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Hmm...then Dell must be getting so overconfident, they don't care. Tell ya'll what, I'm gonna buy this in person. Hubby hates to buy distance and I had to really talk him into this and look how it turned out. I doubt I'd get him to try again. I'm upset about the wasted inquiry...:(

I'll have the cash shortly and will just do it that way...it will be interesting to see if Mr. Dell replies to the PlanetFeedback cancellation I placed.

Thanks all who wrote!

7. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

Eddie, for the sake of interesting, spirited discussion, I'd like to disagree with you. I don't think "pitiful customer service" is the reason Gateway is losing market share to Dell. Most people who order computers only deal with sales staff, not customer service staff. The customer service interactions typically occur post-sale if they occur at all; most people plug and play with their computers and never have a need for customer service. The biggest reason Gateway is losing mindshare and market share to Dell has to do with each company's respective sales and advertising strategies. Clearly, Dell has created the most amusing and memorable ads. Chances are that you can remember one of the new Dell ads more easily than you can remember any recent Gateway commercial.

While I would agree with you that Gateway's customer service isn't nearly as good as Dell's, I think that only us geeks know that prior to buying a computer. For that reason, I don't think that explains Dell's sales successes.

Randy

8. MT

MT Well-Known Member

Hi Nana, nope nothing like that. At the time, I had 4 collection accounts and two charged off accounts (paid, but still listed).

I think the Gateway card is/was issued by the same entity that issues Radio Shack, American Airlines and United Airlines and OfficeMax private label cards. If you have any of the above, I think you have a good shot!?

As far as customer services goes, I haven't had any problems, but then again, I've only called twice and not for technical support. The important part is I feel my computer is reliable and I received a good deal. I'd be surprised if Gateway's hold time is worse that SprintPCS' or Earthlink/Mindspring............. anyway good luck and keep us posted!

Oh, an idea, you could always apply for a RadioShack card and buy your computer there -- I think they sell Compaq. (Also, when I was approved for the Gateway account, I was also approved, instantly - online, for OfficeMax, UAL, American Air, Goodyear (forgot about goodyear above)).

9. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Thank, MT..interesting conversation here! :)

You know, I've had HP and Compaq and I have to say that I have never had any serious trouble at all. I like to research my major purchases first and I see others have so I thought I should stay away. But, my experience with my own and those I know who have Compaq has been positive. Hm.....

Lots of ideas! Thanks!

10. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

Nana- sorry to hear about the troubles. I would stick with the Dell if I were you, probably the best as far as 'pre-fab' pc's are concerned.

If you decide to pay cash, go to the 'refurb' section on Dell's web site, you can really save some $$ and they come with the full warranty.

Also, don't pay for extra memory from them. It takes 2 minutes to install yourself and is SOOOO cheap right now.

GOOD LUCK!

Shawn

11. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Shawn, thanks for the info...good advice there. Unfortunately, like I said earlier, this situation has reinforced my husband's negative feelings about buying major purchases online. :( I guess I'm hoping my Planet Feedback letter will encourage them to do something to try to make it right and convince him that it was an unfortunate rare occurance and that it won't happen again.

12. tom65432

tom65432 Well-Known Member

Don't get a Compaq. Their customer service is the pits. I have a HP and a Compaq purchased about the same time. No problems on the HP. Constant problems on the Compaq.

Compaq has a one year warranty that is a joke. It does not entitle you to talk with a live person - that costs $59.95 per call. Their warranty gives you only the right to send them an email and wait and wait and wait for an answer. I had a problem I could not solve. I sent them a detailed question about it. What they sent me back was a generic answer that could apply to most questions - try new software, try upgrading your processor, try buying more memory. In other words, their customer service is useless.

13. brad

brad Well-Known Member

Nana,consider yourself lucky.I am having major problems with my Dell system and have spent over 10 hours on the phone with their tech reps to no avail.Last night the rep told me I had to clear my hard drive and like a fool I did.Now I have lost all of my files and I still have the same problems.Stay away from Dell!!!

14. Surphie

Surphie Well-Known Member

Compaq is my second puter at home. No problems at all. Macintosh PowerMac G4 is my main machine, which is great, fast, awesome!

Then my suggestion, buy a Compaq PC or even better an Imac or PowerMac!

15. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I love my Vaio.

breeze

16. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

BRAD - I am with you. I was so disgusted with DELLs horrible wait times and bad service when they replaced THEIR harddrive, I lost 18 months of data.

I bought a 1.3G Vaio - its great and sets up all devices better than any machine I've ever used.
    P4 1.3G got 15 inch flat screen - its dynamite!

DELL must be reducing service and support employees.

I paid $1300 for the SONY Vaio!
    c ya Dogman

Breeze - I like the Vaio!

17. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

Ive had a Sony for years. Out of all the computers I've owned the VAIO is the best