Denial isn't just a river...

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jonesing, May 3, 2001.

1. jonesing

jonesing Well-Known Member

My gf got a letter today from an attorney's office. It was a settlement offer for some $80 for a Texaco account. It goes on about how Texaco is reporting her "seriously delinquent" and the affects of bad credit yada yada yada But she can make it all go away for $80 or so.

Trouble is she has never had a Texaco card! I'm thinking alriiiiight! I can use one of lizard's validation letters and nip this in the bud! Then she mumbled something about them bothering her again. Again?!?!? I asked her if she got these letters before? She said "oh yeah, maybe 3 or 4." WTF?!?! So I ask what she did about it? Did she dispute them or what? "No, they'll take care of it. It'll go away." So, of course, my head is spinning! "No! It won't just go away! YOU have to do something now because they'll mess up your credit." (Well more than it already is) She tosses the letter into the trash! At this point I can't even say anything...so she glares at me and walks off in a huff! Here I am all ready for an easy victory and she won't even admit there's a battle to be faught! ugh!

2. godaddyo

godaddyo Well-Known Member

Im not telling you to dump your GF, but I wouldnt merge credit files any time in the future:)

godaddyo

3. jshimmer

jshimmer Well-Known Member

Two people don't "merge" their files. Even when married, they remain as separate histories. Accounts can appear on two (or more) peoples' files, but their credit files are not "merged" (into one file).

4. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

I think at this point you will have to explain to your gf that this matter will not get away anytime soon. Make the point that the CA is not aware that there is a problem. Your gf's reaction is more embrassment than anything else and you must take the gentle approach to explain. So she may feel that there is a battle, a battle of her credit life and the two of you will do this together. Above all don't be made at her, most people are not aware of these small problems can cause huge headaches in the future.

Best regards,
    Sam

5. jonesing

jonesing Well-Known Member

LOL well I've calmed down now. I will have to approach this from a different tack but yeah, she doesn't realize this can blow up into a real big problem.

6. godaddyo

I was only trying to make light of the situation. The credit files being merged represented marriage. When couples get married their credit files get "merged"(although they do retain their own seperate histories).This merging caused both histories to be pulled when requesting only one. This can be stopped using a simple letter asking them to stop merging your reports.

godaddyo

7. godaddyo

This merging only seems to occur when couples apply for credit jointly.

godaddyo