Denied access to credit becaus

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Jared K, Jun 5, 2000.

1. Jared K

Jared K Guest

Can a mortgage lender legally discriminate against you if you are gay or they suspect you are gay? Isn't this discrimination based on 'marital status'. I have a strong suspicion I am being denied access to credit based on my being gay. I am in the closet and even my own parents don't know so I want to be careful about publicizing my case.

2. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

RE: Denied access to credit be

It really depends on state you live in. Various states have various laws deal with gay rights. In most cases, "equal housing" laws would also apply to mortgage lending as well as "equal credit".

Most states have gay rights advocacy organizations. I would seek out advice from one of them, or contact your state chapter of the ACLU.

3. Alex - Cre

Alex - Cre Guest

The Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA) prohibits credit discrimination on the basis of sex, race, marital status, religion, national origin, age, or receipt of public assistance. This law could apply to your situation as well, you should consult a legal expert on this matter.

A.F.

---------------------
    Bad Credit? No Credit? Let Us Help!
    http://www.Creditinsiders.com

4. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, we live in a very homophobic society and as long as bigots are in positions of authority, keep your personal life private. Then when you move in, throw a fabulous bash complete with half naked servers and invite the mortgage lenders!

5. CardReport

CardReport Guest

While discrimination on the basis of marital status would be a violation of the Equal Credit Opportunity Act, I have never heard of it applying to gay people. Homosexuality does *not*, in and of itself prevent anyone from getting married - there are plenty of closeted gay guys married to women and sneaking around, cheating on their wives.

There may or may not be state or local laws regarding anti-homosexual discrimination in housing, depending on exactly where you live. If it isn't specifically prohibited, then it's allowed, and you have no legal recourse.

If you are so deep in the closet, why do you think the mortgage broker perceived you as gay?

It's going to be rather difficult to file any kind of complaint about this, without admitting that you think you were at least perceived as gay. Whoever you complain to is going to wonder *why* you think that, in order to understand or prove the accusaton. If you don't have any evidence of being perceived as gay, and being discriminated against on that basis, then your accusation won't have much weight. Simply saying that you're gay, and didn't get what you wanted, so it must be homophobia, isn't enough.

My sympathy for oppressed minorities has dimished greatly, after observing that *many* members of such minorities can and will oppress and abuse some other group just as bad, if they have a chance.

--
    CardReport.Com - Credit Tools, News, And Reference
    http://www.cardreport.com/

6. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

I read an article not too long ago that made a strong argument that more lenders than most of us can imagine actually do discriminate based upon their perceptions of sexual orientation. It also mentioned that there are many mortgage brokers out there who specialize in serving the gay and lesbian community. It focused on several of these brokers doing reputable business in Houston's Deep Montrose area, which is known as the local "gay ghetto".

I'm sure such services are available in most larger cities. Look for gay and lesbian community centers in the big cities nearest you. I'm sure that if they don't have the information you're looking for, they will help you find it.

Another thing related to the subject that I've found interesting is that some neighborhood associations actually encourage gay couples to purchase homes in their neighborhoods. They apparently believe that these couples take better care of their property than the average resident, thus maintaining and perhaps increasing area property values.

I saw this report on one of the news magazine shows, perhaps Dateline. I think most of the communities they focused on were in California. Folks here in Texas tend to be a little uptight on such matters, but then again, they sometimes surprise you.

7. jason

jason Well-Known Member

Then you shouldnt be gay then should you? I personally think you kind of people are sick in the head and disgusting!!! The lord will punish you for your actions!!