Denied for a cell phone??!!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Brian, Sep 9, 2000.

1. Brian

Brian Guest

I went to purchase a cell phone plan yesterday from Cellular One. I filled out the typical contract and personal information, and picked it up this morning. To my dismay, I went in and they said to have the service, I would need to leave a $250 deposit! They pulled TransUnion.

I don't understand. My credit's excellent, and in fact, a couple of weeks ago, I applied for financing for my new Dell computer I'm using now, and was approved for $5000. What gives??

2. FISH

FISH Guest

RE: Denied for a cell phone??!

I'd find out who to call about it. Also they should send you a letter about why in the next few days. I am on a regular ATT plan but when I was at a store recently to get a case for my phone I overheard the clerk telling someone that they now have a pre pay and a plan that has service monitoring along with another one for credit challenged. They did not require a deposit but I was not there long enough to hear the details. You can call 1-800-imagine and talk to ATT and find out if they cover your area and the different plans.

3. Brian

Brian Guest

Unfortunately, AT@T doesn't offer service yet in my zip code (they said in the next 2 months).

Maybe it was the inquiries on my report?

4. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Who knows....

I know Cellular Once can be jerks. My friend tried to get a phone through them and they wanted a $1k deposit! :-o

Try Sprint PCS or MCI Worldcom. I know it's easy to get a phone through Sprint. MCI is a reseller for Verizon and Cell One but there credit criteria may be different.